Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Are these ready for harvest?

Hi, i finally got a couple of courgettes that have grown to a decent size (about 12cms) the rest have rotted off. Wondering if i should harvest them now or wait?imageimage

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Posts: 8,328

It probably depends how desperate you are, Chris... there are those who say you should eat courgettes at about 10cm, but personally I usually wait until they're a bit bigger, when I find they have more flavour.  Definitely a "personal taste" thing though.

Early fruit rotting off is very common, especially with yellow varieties.

Since 2019 I've lived in east Clare, in the west of Ireland.
  • ChriscoreChriscore Posts: 155

ok thanks i will keep that in mind. I did some courgettes (store bought ones) on the bbq with skewers so i may try that with my own

• chris 172chris 172 Posts: 403

imageimage

Hi Chriscore

it also depends on how many plants you have as the longer you wait the more you have and yes the early courgettes I have found rot off on the plant but they still once they start keep coming to the frosts

i tend to take small ones and leave others to get bigger it's your preference just make sure you enjoy them

proper glut at the moment so giving plenty to friends and family and eating

happy gardening

• ChriscoreChriscore Posts: 155
    chris 172 says:
    imageimage

Hi Chriscore

it also depends on how many plants you have as the longer you wait the more you have and yes the early courgettes I have found rot off on the plant but they still once they start keep coming to the frosts

i tend to take small ones and leave others to get bigger it's your preference just make sure you enjoy them

proper glut at the moment so giving plenty to friends and family and eating

happy gardening

See original post

Dang thats a nice harvest you got there :)