London (change)
Today 11°C / 2°C
Tomorrow 7°C / 3°C
6 messages
02/06/2012 at 17:09

I've just bought a tray of growing baby lettuce leaves from the (blue and white) supermarket salad section. You are supposed to cut as you need them.

As my own lettuce seed only went in on Wednesday, could I successfully plant some of these seedlings in the garden to grow on or are they doomed to failure?

I'm sure someone out there has tried this before and could give me advice.

Thanks, Kathy

02/06/2012 at 17:16
I do seem to remember someone on this board trying this successfully. Are you thinking of separating the seedlings to plant out individually?
02/06/2012 at 17:21

Yes, thats a great idea Kathy! My friend has done that recently and they are perfectly happy. But always remember with lettuce water them often so then they don'y bolt

02/06/2012 at 17:25

Thanks figrat.I was thinking of separating a few from round the edges of the tray to plant out and using the rest as "cut & come again" (hopefully) There seem to be at least 30 in the small tray but will need care when separating.

I suppose it's worth a try as the whole tray only cost £1 and that's cheaper than a bag of leaves!

02/06/2012 at 17:26

Thanks Lalat.

03/06/2012 at 15:29

Yes, I got a big bag of baby-leaf salad seeds from a 99p shop last year and grew some as baby leaves, but also planted some out to grow on into bigger plants. Give them a high-nitrogen feed when you plant them out, to encourage more leafy growth.

email image
6 messages