Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Broccoli Plugs

Hi all,

My Broccoli plugs have arrived. The plants are about 8" tall and look healthy.

I haven't had time to prepare a spot for them other than "harvesting" the onions that were where they're to be planted.

Is it too late to do anything to the ground, I won't be able to plant them till the weekend anyway.

Or should I just dig some holes & chuck them in image......I feel a bit guilty reallyimage

Thanks

Chris

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

I would fork it over, a quick spinkle of blood fish and bone, and then plant.

• OK thanks, when I form the hole for the plants, should that have any special treatment, i.e. fresh compost or extra bf&b or growmore?

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

I wouldn't over-feed them at this age, it would be like giving a T-bone steak to a baby!image

Feed the soil, not the plant.  Distribute any home made compost and the bfb equally over the area. Tickle it in to the top few inches. You dont need to dig deep. Brassicas need to be firmed in. Dont forget to net against wood pigeons.

• Ah yes....pigeons, thanks for the reminder.

the plugs are about 50mm deep and 20mm square.

As I said, the plants are about 8" (200mm) tall.

How deep should I plant them....i.e.how much of the 8" stem should be below ground. Or in other words, how much of the 8" should remain above ground image

I guess they will need to be staked.....(not steaked) image

Bury brassicas up to the first leaves.

• And firm them in well image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    After you have planted them take a leaf and pull gently. If the plant comes out it wasn't firm enough! Staking is not necessary they need to grow sturdy unless you are in a very windy spot.