London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 10°C
8 messages
25/07/2013 at 13:36

Hello, I am growing Glen Fyne raspberries and this third year they have been soft and totally disintegrate when touched.I use sulphate of potash in early spring following the advice I had when purchased from an on line nursery.Anyone else had this problem? Regards Anthony.

25/07/2013 at 13:42

Sorry to hear about your crumbling rasps. Not a clue what is wrong with them but I have a recipe for raspberry crumble if you want it

25/07/2013 at 14:03

Any other symptoms, Anthony? How does the foliage look?

26/07/2013 at 00:10

Be very gentle with them!

Probably as a result of the dry weather.  Raspberries like a moist climate.  They do well in Scotland.

27/07/2013 at 14:56

My raspberries are pretty poor this year too, but my mind has gone blank as to what variety they are.   I keep thinking tullamarine, but that's melbourne airport so don't think that's right.... but something like it.

And most of what there are the birds get there first.

27/07/2013 at 15:33

Half and half with us and the birds. They get the bottom half and we get the plugs.

27/07/2013 at 20:23

Thank you all for your input. It has been very dry here in Lincolnshire but I have watered if needed. BTW. the fruit has no taste and some are quite bitter. The foliage looks healthy (we had rust last year) and next years canes are taking over. EllieL I think your variety is called Tulameen.

27/07/2013 at 20:57

Not so sure it is the weather, we had this problem last year and it certainly was not dry then. We have it again this year too. We thought it was perhaps the variety, but some of the same type produce the normal kind of berry. Does make picking them a lot harder.

Ours are only fed with compost so not artificial fertilsers have gone in. The plants themselves are good and healthy, no sign of any diseases or fungal infections.

The fruit tastes much like any Raspberry to me, but then I don't like them at the best of times. The Raspberry eater says they are ok.

email image
8 messages