Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Fruit Cage

Hello fellow and fellowette forkers as some of you know I have have taken over at a new garden I have a fruit cage which like most of the rest of the garden has been some what left to grow a little wild because the old gardener found it a little tricky to keep up

my challenge is to rectify that and unfortunately I have to be a little brutal with the fruit. firstly I have just this week cut back the early fruiting raspberrys which were to be honest pathetic tasteless and mushy and now at least the canes for next year have a chance 

the small runty blue berry bushes now have room around them and I have started feeding them firstly with an all purpose food and then I will go to an acid based food  

I have also got black currant and red currant bushes which are around 6 feet high and about 5 feet wide with fruit hiding within the bowls of the plant so I have decided to lightly prune there height and also to loose some of the really old wood I know I may loose some fruit by tipping them out but they cant keep going on like this and to be honest the owners usually go to the super market.

Gooseberries are also just a tangled mess which when I have a spare 5 minuets ( never ) I will prune them out as well. oh the joys of being a gardener I love it

P.S. I have been told by the owners there is also rhubarb hidden in the cage some where look forward to finding that then

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Posts: 37,884

I bet you feel like an archaeologist, finding hidden treasure (?) amongst the undergrowth. image

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • bulkerbbulkerb Posts: 258

yes as long as it is only rhubarb that I find and not some thing that will warrant tony robinson and west country Phil  if you follow my drift

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

I had exactly the same situation 2 years ago. Sometimes you have to do what is good for the plants and not what the clients expect. It all works out in the end. Even if they moan or complain it's your job to get the best from what you've been given to work with. And that means making decisions and then telling them you're the gardener and they employ you to get the best from their garden.

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Posts: 37,884

Ha ha bulkerb - I do indeed.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable