I'm ~3 weeks into a chilli plant growing competition that ends in mid/late July. I've never grown a plant like this before and I could really use some advice. Here's my plant about 1 week ago: -
There are 3 goals here: 1. Tallest plant, 2. Highest yield, 3. Hottest chilli.
I have a few questions: -
- How often should I be watering it to maximize it's height? I realize I should later reduce the watering to increase the hotness of the chillis.
- Is there any truth to the following rumour I keep hearing: "Pruning the smaller leaves focuses more of the plant's resources on growth, producing a few larger leaves which are more energy efficient" - I really don't want to do this, surely there would be a strong evolutionary bias against growing small leaves if they are less efficient? However the biggest 2-3 plants have all done this.
- If I mainly leave it indoors is it smart to build a small greenhouse around it? Should this have holes in? The temperature indoors can vary quite a bit.
- I have bought the following: http://www.lovethegarden.com/product-details/miracle-gro-gro-your-own-fruit-vegetables-concentrated-liquid-plant-food how should I apply this? The instructions are terrible, they aren't really made for a single plant in a single pot. The concentration it suggests is 50 ml diluted in 4.5 l and then applied once each week (to three plants!), this can't be right? Should I calculate the final concentration, dilute down and space it out over the week with the regular watering? - this could waste a lot of time.
- Can you give me any other advice.
I'm sorry this isn't very clear, I'm in a rush at the moment.