Today 11°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 8°C / 4°C
14 messages
18/04/2013 at 14:38

Hi folks,

How often should i water new seedlings?

18/04/2013 at 14:41

Simple answer-when it is needed-it is not a matter of time

Lift the pot/tray-is it light?-is the compost a paler colour?-then water-but never water on a regular basis-you can kill with kindness

18/04/2013 at 14:54

thank you

only tend to put abit in anyway, just to just cover the bottom of the trays

18/04/2013 at 15:45

You're watering from the bottom, Nicholas? I wouldn't with seedlings. You can't judge the dampness of the mix. Water from the top, let the mix pretty much dry out without leaving them bone dry.

18/04/2013 at 16:08

yeah watering from bottom to save disturbing the seeds

18/04/2013 at 19:08

You didn't say what type of seedlings, but some, such as tomatoes and chillies, are better watered in the morning, so that they don't get chilled at night.

18/04/2013 at 19:42

Nicholas - what seedlings are you talking about?

18/04/2013 at 20:22
I'm growing a large variety of veg of all different types
18/04/2013 at 21:21

I never have problems watering from the bottom using a good seed compost and adaquate drainage. It only takes a minute or so if you are using a shallow tray. The advantage about bottom watering is that you make sure the water is reaching the roots and that the foliage remains dry. Always make sure that your compost is thoroughly wetted before sowing. There is also less chance of washing the soil away with bottom watering. Even misting can disturb new seedlings. Do not go by the top colour of the compost this is not an indication how wet the mix is. It seems to me you are doing the right thing, if the compost does appear very dry just carry on as you have been doing watering from the bottom.

18/04/2013 at 21:24

I water from the bottom. As Terry says, it's where the roots are. I assess need to water by weight of tray/pot

Jak
18/04/2013 at 21:30

my lettuce are leggy what sould I do with them they are still tiny

19/04/2013 at 06:51

Leggy is usually an indication of a lack of light. Even when the temps were relatively low here, I put most of my seedlings out on the terrace wrapped in a couple of layers of bubble wrap for what sun there was. The wrap generated sufficient warmth inside, the sun provided the crucial light.

Jak
19/04/2013 at 08:15

gosh that shows my ignorance I thought it was the opposite but how much sun gets through the bubble wrap  can I still plant the leggy seedlings and if so shld I put them in deep   -methinks I shld start again

19/04/2013 at 08:22

Jak, it's the light that goes straight through the bubble wrap. The light is the crucial thing. Clear bubble wrap, obviously. Before I put them outside I had them under a couple of bright desk lamps inside, the globes about 2" above the seedlings.

How big are the leggy seedlings? If they're not ready to plant out yet you can try resetting them down deeper and giving them as much light as possible.

email image
14 messages