Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Jerusalem artichokes

Just wondered if these can be grown under plastic? I have grown potatoes and sweet corn through plastic successfully but have never grown these before. Are they similar to spuds? I want to grow them as a privacy screen for a yurt So I don't mind them being tall. Any suggestions gratefully received.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Hi Enkay image

I suppose it would be possible, but I'm not sure why you would want to. They're tough as old boots and will just grow and grow.  In what way do you mean 'are they similar to spuds?' image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• EnkayEnkay Posts: 17

I meant, do you need to follow the same method of caring for the plants, covering them as they grow to prevent the light getting to the tubers.

No, but it is helpful to earth up once early on to try to prevent the plants being rocked by the wind.  Cutting them back at around head-height to prevent wind-rock is also helpful.  If you want to leave them to grow taller then I'd stake them or grow them between double wires fixed to posts to prevent wind damage.

Lots of info here https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/grow-your-own/vegetables/jerusalem-artichoke?type=v

Hope that's helpful image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,731

Mine get to about 10'. I stake them and tie them up very securely. They're the easiest things to grow but you need to be careful they don't take over. Unharvested tubers mean more plants next season. Dig up all the tubers and replant only as many as you need to.

• EnkayEnkay Posts: 17

very helpful. Thanks to you both. 

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    You can also eat them. Good flavour, but their nickname is Fartychokes!

Just to stress the need to harvest all tubers. Each tuber unharvested will likely develop into a new plant, and each plant can go on to produce dozens of tubers. You can end up with hundreds of the dang things.

I love them - but don't give artichoke soup to a heavily pregnant woman - I did and she didn't last until the end of the  dinner party  - her hub had to rush her to the maternity hospital!!!

I knew there was another reason why I don't like them. They produce children.

Don't think they're entirely responsible - there are usually other contributory factors image