Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

New Potatoes

biofreakbiofreak Posts: 1,089

My pot grown Ratte & Amandine Potatoes have not flowered but have died back. How do I know when to harvest. Do I still water them? Pots feel nice and heavy.

• FruitcakeFruitcake Posts: 810

Have a feel around and see what comes up! It sounds simple, but that's pretty much all I do image Not all potato plants flower. 

• biofreakbiofreak Posts: 1,089

Have felt lots of weird shapes with Ratte. Potato Salad tonight so will let you know what I find in pot! Just in passing I tip pot into wheelbarrow then once I have removed goodies, I tip spent compost (minus haulm which tends to sprout again if any tubers left by mistake) around spare areas in veg plot.

• BoaterBoater Posts: 241

Get in and rummage, my Arran Pilots haven't flowered or died back but were overdue so I had a rummage earlier and easily found enough spuds for tonight and tomorrow - hopefully I'll have time to turn the bag out next week and harvest them properly.

Well! - 23 diddy potatoes which made yummy mouthfuls last night.

• Was wondering the same about my new potatoes too as I thought they had to flower, I will dig one up tomorrow to see.

I pulled up some of my pentland javelin plants a week or so ago, and some of the potatoes were the size of a large fist image 

i might go and pull up some more today image

• We are pulling some of our Pentland this weekend. Can't wait to eat them????

I pulled up all my new potatoes this morning image some small, some the size you'd expect and some monster sized ones too! They'll certainly keep us going until the main crop spuds are ready image they should last us, there's 29lb of themimage 

Fruitcake - Did you grow yours in pots or direct in ground? I can't spare the space but do leave rogues from the compost heap to grow on, as tasty spuds albeit 5-6 usually tucked underneath.

• Mel MMel M Posts: 347

Here in Cornwall I pulled up my Accent potatoes over a week ago, even though they had not flowered, due to blight. I had very good crops. A friend of mine on the Lizard had blight on her Charlotte potatoes three weeks earlier!! Now blight is running through the allotments.

Last year I grew Athlete, British Queen and Axona and had no blight at all but they were started early.