Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Potato Leaf Tomato

LeggiLeggi Posts: 489
For the last few years I've grown Alicante, Gardeners Delight or Money Maker toms but haven't been particularly impressed with the flavour, so this year I've gone for a number of different varieties one of which being Essex Wonder a potato leaf variety which was grown commercially up until the mid 50's. Having read various things online I'm wondering if the plants need to be treated any differently to normal leaf types and if anyone here has any tips on how to grow them? I'd also be interested to hear any views on the potato leaf Vs regular leaf debate. image

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

Not a debate.  They are just the same as regular leaf-shaped tomatoes as far as I know.

• lisa masseylisa massey Posts: 252

What habit do they have, I'm assuming that they are a cordon having been a commercial variety? Leaf shape doesn't generally play a part with tomatoes. Do you know if they were bred as a glasshouse variety or outdoor?

• LeggiLeggi Posts: 489
    Yeah they are a cordon variety and from what I can gather were grown both outside and in glasshouses.

Welshonion, there seems quite a lot of debate with no definitive answers online, I was really just wondering if anyone on here had a preference either way. image
  • lisa masseylisa massey Posts: 252

Hi leggi, I'm a bit of a tomato tart I'm afraid, always going for the fancy shapes or unusual colouring, my mum put her foot down this year and insisted we grew some normal round red ones. But I don't mind what leaf they have, they get pulled off.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

I've grown various varieties - some with potato leaves, some with the regular ones.  I don't treat them differently because of the leaf shape. image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Red456Red456 Posts: 17

Which month should a tomato plant start flowering

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Depends on the variety, when you sowed them, when you planted them and the conditions ............. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,731

Potato Leaf is just another leaf shape. Absolutely no difference in how the plant is grown. Less common than the Regular Leaf shape, and pretty much always larger leaves. A number of years ago there was a school of thought that the larger leaves coped better with fungal problems but the evidence was never more than anecdotal. I've found no difference. I find them more attractive than Regular Leaf plants.

• LeggiLeggi Posts: 489
    Thanks guys, I'm growing quite a few different types this year, I'm mostly looking for a good salad tomato and cherry. Sticking with the marmande tommies for cooking as they tasted lovely last year.

Btw if anyone wants any Essex Wonder seeds then drop me a message, I'll collect some at the end of the year providing they don't all fail or taste rubbish. image