Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Runner beans

Just planting out runner bean  seedlings, grown as instructions in pairs in small pot. Shouldthey be thinned to individual plants or left in pairsrot mature?

• Sorry post should read pairs to mature!

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

If they both germinate, I always plant the pot as it is and get great crops.  You can guarantee that if you removed one, the slugs would get the one you left! image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • barry islandbarry island Posts: 1,846

I grow mine in newspaper pots and planted them and pots straight into the ground on Saturday in the rain as they were getting rather big, (I got soaked by the way). I surrounded them with fleece and scattered slug pellets. Went to visit them today and they are romping away looking very healthy, glad that I got soaked now it was worth it.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

Hi Verdun, no reduction that I've noticed.  The trench is always very well prepared though, so plenty of room for them to find everything they need. image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • I use hazel poles and usually plant two per pole.....poles 1ft apart. Yes, it does get to be a bit of a jungle in late summer, but I seem to have enough beans to feed the neighbourhood.

• pr1mr0sepr1mr0se Posts: 1,193

I plant them two per cane - having sown the beans two to a pot in the GH.  They geminate quickly, I harden them off quickly, and then get them into the garden before they are too large (or intertwined) to handle.  Works for me.  Load of beans in the late summer, and neighbours have been known to disappear as I trot up the road with a "few" in my basket.  image

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

I plant one per pole and save some in reserve as the damn pigeons love them. I could net but usually the originals survive.  Might have to net this year as they appear greedyimage and twigs and sticks around beans aren't deterring them.

David K we've still got some in the freezer that we'd best eat or new crop won't seem special.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Never freeze them, KEF....would admit I've never quite got the hang of it, but they're orible when I do them.