London (change)
Today 21°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
5 messages
15/06/2012 at 17:54

Hi everyone

This is the first time trying this variety of tomato.

I have grown them from seed. When I potted them on I put two plants outside and Two plants under a carport with a conservertory roof so they have a fair amount of light and very warm and sheltered.

The plants outside are stunted and stocky, about 12" tall with dark leaves. There are a few flower just appearing.

The plants under the carport however are twice the size! verging on leggy and a lot paler than the ones outside. They are 2 feet tall and flimsy and the top leaves have started to curl a little. Their are flowers appearing. But the over all look of these plants are unlikely to tumble like they are supposed to do more likely to fall over.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? and can anyone tell me why the leaves are curling? I have looked for bugs but the leaves are clean.

15/06/2012 at 18:13

My feeling about the ones under the carport is that conflicting temperatures is the problem-too warm by day-too cold at night the curling leaves are a sign of that and even thought you say good light it is probably not enough- that is why they are leggy.

15/06/2012 at 18:16

Any idea what I can do? Would it be worth hardening them off and putting them outside then?

15/06/2012 at 18:20

I would -and also plant them deeper than they are in the pot-roots will grow from the stem and they will also not then be so top- heavy

15/06/2012 at 18:26

cheers sontongeoff. I will try that and hopefully they will recover.

email image
5 messages