Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

what can i sow now

Hello everyonejust accuried an allotment. Clean up half of it and going to dig it this week to plant stuff by the end of week. Problem is im not sure if i can still plant potatoes or onions because it is getting late.any helpful advice wud be appeciated

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

Not a lot is the easy answer.  

You can plan for next year though, winter veg can be picked up as plugs bought from GC's or nursery's, kale and chard. 

Autumn planting, depending where you live in the country, I'm in the NW, garlic and depending on  hardy varieties, broad beans and onion sets can be planted Sept/Oct. I've found a pea variety which is hardy but you take your chances with the British weather.

My autumn planted onions were better than spring planted one's this year.

Perennials are best planted in late Sept/Oct, things like rubarb crowns, fruit bushes/trees, strawberry plants, globe artichokes.

Hope this is helpfu.l

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

MOST important thing to do right now is decide what you WANT to grow! Please don't throw things in the ground because it's the right time to do it when come harvest you find your family won't actually eat any of the produce.

Plan your allotment out; work out what you want to eat, how much space it will take, what soil quality it needs, relax.

• I've just sowed another batch of lettuce seeds in 10cm deep trays at the weekend and they've started sprouting up already. Am growing them in a tall plastic cold frame so should get another few weeks growing conditions hopefully. 

• shamanshaman Posts: 1

Today I have sown turnip,( purple top and golden) spinach, radish and lettuce to overwinter, all in the space where the onions were growing. The onions are now in the greenhouse drying off.

There will be cabbage plants in the garden centre. It would be great to get something in the allotment so that you will get some crops over the winter. Good luck !