London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 25°C / 15°C
1 to 20 of 51 messages
11/01/2013 at 05:45

I have several packets of vegetable seeds already and a lovely T&M brochure waiting to be looked at but am feeling slightly bewildered by it all. Do any of you feel like that?

11/01/2013 at 10:45

In what way bewildered?

Too much choice or what?

11/01/2013 at 10:52

I can't wait! I have sweetcorn, cabbage, cauli, broccoli, toms, bulb onions, carrots and peppers all ready to start off at the moment.Also want to do spuds and peas of some type.

It was my first year last year, and I started way too late, and we had terrible weather, so I'm hoping this year will be better all round! Quite excited actually!

11/01/2013 at 11:38

Grew courgette 'Floridor' (yellow balls) last year and they were very successfull so will be growing them this year. Have also bought some Squash seed 2 sorts. The one 'Rolet' it says will grow up a trellis. (not grown before) I have bought some carrot tape to see if I have any more success.! Also going to have a go at sugar snap peas, ate loads last year but was buying them Also usual sorts of bean, ordinary peas. Tomatoes have loads of seeds and not sure which ones yet. Leeks, cabbage, sprouts. Salad stuff

I use DT Brown as well, Have a look - not as pricey as T&M

11/01/2013 at 12:55

This will be my second year of growing veg. I'm planning to grow early peas, carrots, runner & french beans, tomatoes and salad leaves. I have p.s broccoli in at the mo. I grew sugar snap peas last year but after a good start they rotted when the weather became warmer, which is why I am trying an early variety this time.

Can't wait to get started!

11/01/2013 at 13:11

I'll grow runner beans, Kelvedon Wonder peas, Charlotte potatoes, onions, shallots, red onions (I grow from sets), tomatoes inside and outside, sweet corn, courgettes, butternut squash, cucumbers, lettuces, leeks, everlasting spinach, broad beans, French beans. Don't know about brassicas - they don't do that well here.

11/01/2013 at 14:10

Runner beans do well then i will aiso grow french beans, peas, sweet corn, butternut squash, courgettes, tomatoes, chillies and cucumbers( the last 3 i will grow in the greenhouse). On the allotment i have asparagus, raspberries, strawberries, gooseberries, apple trees , currents and rhubarb. The 5 a day you are supposed to eat are so much nicer in the summer. oh and lettuce. Nearly forgot that one

11/01/2013 at 20:32

Had good results from a grafted aubergine last year; will plant Slim Jim Aubergine from seed in February in green house.

11/01/2013 at 21:25
Red Duke of York, charlotte, Majestic, Picasso and king Edwards in the potato patch. Already chitting on the table in the porch.

Also trying my hand at fruit this year, with strawberries, Raspberries and apple trees.
11/01/2013 at 21:59

This will be my first year,so my plan is for runner beans/French beans, mange tout, corgettes and shallots. It might be ambitious, whether it works out that way............

I think I'm already running late

11/01/2013 at 22:09

Hollie-your not- trust me- you are not

11/01/2013 at 22:54

weather permitting ....lol im doing purple sprouting savoy cabbage,broad and runnerbean,leeks .parsnips,spinach,carrot,artichoke,spuds.lettuce.cucumber.toms salad onions and peppers

11/01/2013 at 23:23
This year I am not going to buy any seeds. I am going to use up all last years. Supplemented by ones that are given away free on magazines.
I was a bit restricted by the weather last year. So the stash is reasonable. Will see how I go. Or will I be tempted when I visit the local garden centre?
12/01/2013 at 15:01

This season we have to grow more bitter melon, Ampalaya,Momordica Charantia for us and for market. Because of this we need any bamboo trellies for climbing. I hope so we have both enough.Greetings, ThaiGer

propagation of bitter melon

13/01/2013 at 20:14

Probably beetroot, onions, garlic, french/runner beans and peas, salad stuff, spinach and chad. Kohl, will try carrots again, courgette's, squash and brussels, I'm sure I've other seeds, nearly forgot - spuds.. 

In the GH it's going to be cues, toms, chillies, peppers, aubergines and I've some yard long beans which need warmth.

Rhubarb, strawberries, gooseberries, blueberries and currants which were mainly eaten by birds last year or failed to fruit, hoping for more success this time around.  

16/01/2013 at 12:55

I am going to be growing barbabietola di chioggia and boltardy beetroot, usual mixture of lettuce, cuban black, money maker and tubling tom (in a basket) tomatoes. Burpless tasty green cucumbers, sunstripe courgettes, climbing french beans, red and white onions and for the first year ever I'm going to give aubergines a try (and pray for plenty of sunshine!). I can't wait!

You can see how I get on by following my veg diary if you so desire!

16/01/2013 at 14:08

runner beans,broad beans,lettuce,beetroot,radish,spinach,chard,onions,peas,and strawberries,raspberries,blackcurrant,redcurrant,white currant,gooseberry,...................

16/01/2013 at 15:11
Too many to mention because Wyvale's 50p seed sell off sent me all of a quiver, I'm sure some of them won't make it in the ground this year. I've got red and white onions on the go, shallots, garlic, some peas which were supposed to be fine over winter (very sceptical about that though) and I have been stock piling fruit bushes from various sales/special offers (strawberries, gooseberries, blueberries, raspberries, honey berries, cranberries, blackberries, blackcurrants and red/white currants).

I can't wait to be able to get out and start planting, especially when the weather is like this. Fingers crossed we all have a warm and sunny year.
17/01/2013 at 12:42

I dont have a large garden but I have my seeds at the ready!..Tomatoes, onions, courgettes, lettuces (all sorts!), carrots, radish..roll on the spring!

17/01/2013 at 12:49
I shall try cherry tomato again , red onion, spring onion, lettuce varieties, cucumber , basil, strawberries, chillies, and beet root . All in pots but some mostly in the greenhouse unless that is we get a wonderful summer ....hmmm ????
1 to 20 of 51 messages