Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Wilting tomato

Evenin, one tomato plant in the greenhouse has decided to look a little sad, the upper leaves have started to close in and go a little limp, the lower leaves seem fine and no odd marks on the leaves. I have checked the soil and it is not overly wet. The variety is golden pearl, any ideas? Thanks

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Hi Mike, have you got some ventilation in the greenhouse? Sometimes they just get so hot in there! I only have little plastic growhouses at the moment but it's amazing how the heat builds up - even on cooler days - and the plants look really weary. A bit of fresh air usually perks them up. If nothing else seems amiss that might be all they need. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Kim FluckKim Fluck Posts: 6

Thanks, well vented and all other plants all okay. Thanks

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

That's all I can think of Mike! They do go a bit curly anyway so there's probably nothing wrong. I've just looked at mine and that's what they look like too.image

If you can put a photo on that might help - there's lots of very expert tomato growers on here who will be able to help and reassure you.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • LordswoodLordswood Posts: 59

Five out of six of my greenhouse tomatoes have done the something similar. Only the young leaves are severely wilted, dark green and stunted. The ones I planted in the garden at the same time are fine. The greenhouse does not overheat as it's in partial shade.

Although the growing tip and damaged leaves show no sign of recovery I am training a side shoot to take over the job and I've earthed up the stem to encourage new roots.

Here's hoping!

• ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,731

Mike, when you say the soil doesn't seem overly wet, how often are you watering?

Any chance of photos of these two possibly related problems?