London (change)
Today 22°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 15°C
9 messages
26/04/2013 at 17:32

Hello

i hope this isn't a silly question and I doubt they are.. But are these mushrooms edible? What is the best thing to do with them? they are growing in one of my raised veg boxes. Should I dig 'em up and chuck them, grow more, eat them?

http://i41.tinypic.com/dbp54y.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/70dq28.jpg

 

 

26/04/2013 at 17:34

Depends if you want to take a chance-I wouldn't -because I didn't plant it

I hope you like hospital food just in case

26/04/2013 at 17:38

haha  

i was just curious if anyone could ID them.. I know how many different varieties there are so I'm not sure anyone will be able to just from photos.. But worth a shot!

26/04/2013 at 17:40

I'm always very neurotic about identifying fungi as regards edibility. A lot of the identifying characteristics are to do with touch, feel, smell which of course isn't possible with a picture.

If you have a local library, they might well have a book on fungi, or you could google 'edible fungi' and see if you can find some similar looking ones and take it from there.

 

26/04/2013 at 17:57

If it doesn't come in a pack labelled mushrooms OH won't eat it. He was poisoned as a child, delerious and yellow. There are people that know fungi like we know flowering plants but I'm not one of them

26/04/2013 at 18:33

dont go with it until you are sure..

26/04/2013 at 19:21

Not many mushrooms around at this time of year. It might be Spring Field Cap - Agrocybe Praecox. Found on rotting woodchips. Not poisonous but bitter tasting apparently. Don't ever eat wild mushrooms unless they have been clearly identified by at least two experts. So no don't try to eat them.

26/04/2013 at 21:13

it is best to get good advice from some one who really knows and a good book to Identify.I had poisoning from eating what I thought was mushrooms which turned out to be anything but ,the pain was worse than child birth and I was lucky to get away without damaging my kidneys let alone I could of died.

28/04/2013 at 08:25

i wouldnt risk it, even with an expert on hand,its so easy to mis-identify.  we have mushrooms growing on our bark paths at the lottie but  leave them well alone.  mum used to pick and eat field mushrooms when she was a kid but i wouldnt even risk picking them with her on hand to advise just in case! 

vp

email image
9 messages