London (change)
Today 28°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 18°C
5 messages
08/06/2013 at 13:44

Hi everyone, please excuse my minimal knowledge!

i have a 4 tier plastic greenhouse and I'm trying to grow aubergines. it has grown to about 30cm bit there are no flowers on it yet, is this normal?

what do I do now there are big green/purple leaves on it. Also will it grow outside in the mini green house or should I bring it indoors? 

as many tips as possible are appreciatedidn't they didn't fruit at all last year when I tried, only leaves!

thanks!

08/06/2013 at 15:08

Hi Becka, they need to be grown under glass/clear plastic in the UK so outside in a mini greenhouse will suit them just fine.  Don't feed them until they are in flower - if you are already feeding them, then stop.  Make sure you put them somewhere sunny as that is essential. 

You may be surprised at how large and pretty the flowers are when they (hopefully) eventually arrive.

08/06/2013 at 15:58

Hi Bob, thanks for the tips. I give given it food but I shall stop until it flowers . The greenhouse is in the sunniest part of the garden so hopefully they will give us some tasty fruits this year 

08/06/2013 at 17:56

Becka, I bought an expensive 'grafted' aubergine plant last year, the first year I had a proper greenhouse and it did very well grew to about 70cm and produced about 6 or 8 big fruits. This year just got an ordinary aubergine it is now 30 cm, but it is starting to flower. Mine is in a big pot and I will probably feed it for the first time this week. Next year I hope to grow several from seed but they have to be planted in February I believe in a warm place; could be your window sill?

KEF
08/06/2013 at 20:28

I've only grown them a few times and had them in the greenhouse. They do need a long warm season. I ended up moving them outside as they seemed to attract whitefly into the GH. They became covered with them but at least toms were ok. I agree the flowers are lovely.

email image
5 messages