Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Avocado

Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

New formula for growing an avocado from seed:

1. Remove seed from avocado and eat the flesh, preferably with a nice vinaigrette sauce

2. Discard avocado seed to compost heap

3. Leave for several months (this was not a particularly efficiently-run garden)

4. Turn compost heap and recover seed, accidentally damaging it in the process

5. Pot up and await developments

Any thoughts?

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Hmmm - might try that one day...

• being south African ive grown an avocado from pip

it would never have fruited so I threw it away after a very cold snap when the whole plant turned black.  sad really ..  would love an avocado tree in my garden here in Cambridge.  I didn't have a greenhouse back then and if I was grow another, is there a particular avocado that would fruit ?

• LisaJLisaJ Posts: 48

Guacamole is my favourite thing to make with avocado.  I don't know how many sprouting seeds I've come across in my compost bin.  I'll need to save one or two and try growing them on.  image

• lisa masseylisa massey Posts: 252

Tastes of soap to me, but have one growing well on the kitchen window cill.

• Soap !   omg never ... you are eating them too green then.

• ah man... in Durban where I come from you would feel stuffed after eating one avocado. Its so big that you can only eat half of the fruit. The skin should be purple, then you know its ready. If it is dark brown you might still be able to eat it... if ts black, it could be rotten x I still struggle to buy a ripe avo in the shops cos its not the same fruit I am use to .

I think the skin colour depends partly on the variety, as well as the degree of ripeness. 

Would they flower and fruit in UK?

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

I never put the stone in the compost heap.  They never rot down, so they go in the waste food bin for the Council to deal with.

So the council can grow them? image

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

We have a special word in Wales to deal with remarks like that.  Twp!