Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Bargain Hunting

I'm looking for tubs/troughs to place in the back garden to suppliment my raised bed. I have a dog bath which I planted with perennials last year whilst preparing my flower beds. I will use this for carrots this year. I do however need more economy tubs/troughs that will last more than one year. I have builders buckets but they are usually for my tomatos. Anyone got any contacts or cheap ideas. I need something for climbing French beans and sugar snap peas. Courgette, potatos and greens will go in the raised bed. Thanks in anticipation

• I live near a small builder and am also friendly with a local plumber. Boith have gardens piled up with stuff they have taken out of other people's houses and are waiting to take to the tip. I wondered whether such people could be a source of suitable containers. Local builders/painters for empty paint containers? Pallets treated for rot and then made up into planting troughs? Old water tanks? Just a thought.

• marshmellomarshmello Posts: 683

Are you up for making containers ? Cos there'll be plenty of pallets knocking about soon - in skips etc. Make some boxes/troughs, dismantle first, build, wood preserve them and line-out with black builders plastic with a few holes punched through the bottom. Will last a few years,.....mine do.

• Miss BecksMiss Becks Posts: 3,468

I use the rectangle recycling bins for my carrots and potatoes. Strong Plastic. Not pretty to look at, but they are nice and deep, and do the job. image

• Thanks all. I saw a plastic trough on ebay. It's 36cm deep by 66 cm in diameter and 90ltrs. It's ??20.50 after postage. Didn't know if its deep enough but also its quite costly.

I didn't really fancy making anything as I have so many other 'home' projects to do. I know that seems slack but I want to do so many little bits in the garden and home and by the time I make them it will probably be past the time to plant.

I made these last week out of old pallets only took me a couple of hours, I have since painted them with wood protection paint 

• Bunny ...Bunny ... Posts: 3,471
    Compost bags ? Cleaned out paint , plaster tubs from builders..
  • Green tooth, v lovely and would look great in my garden. How much do you think these have cost in materials. What plastic do you use and where from??
  • Does your local tip have a recycling section? I have got dozens over a few years for about 20p each.

Or you could splash out, Poundland will probably soon have some in!!

• You buy tubs from the tip???
  • You could try going to your local tip and talking to the men about what is available. Sometimes, too, you see other people dumping things that would be ideal and can get it from them before they dump it. This isn't really allowed at our local tip, but people do it quietly.