London (change)
Today 26°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 24°C / 16°C
8 messages
22/05/2012 at 20:15
Hi It's been 92 days since my beetroot (Detroit variety) were sewn, therefore decided to pull one up to see if they were ready. However there was nothing, just some thin roots from the leaves. So disappointed as I thought they were coming along nicely. Can anyone tell me what may have happened?
22/05/2012 at 21:37

Crikey - you sowed early.  I only started my first row last week and I'll do another in a couple of weeks and so on until about mid July.  I preserve my excess crop for winter so it's not a lot of beetroot really.  I would just leave the ones you have already sown to see if anything happens and sow another lot now.  If you have had a lot of rain in the last 92 days and the beetroot is outside, then they may have made leaves at the expense of bulbs - this happens with too much watering. 

22/05/2012 at 21:43

Where abouts are you?

22/05/2012 at 22:02

Only sowed my first lot the other day, will continue to succession sow until I have no space, or get sick.

23/05/2012 at 07:23
Bettyslad wrote (see)
Hi It's been 92 days since my beetroot (Detroit variety) were sewn, therefore decided to pull one up to see if they were ready. However there was nothing, just some thin roots from the leaves. So disappointed as I thought they were coming along nicely. Can anyone tell me what may have happened?

I suspect lack of warmth and sunlight. They need both to thrive.

23/05/2012 at 10:28
Thanks for the tips, will sow some more. It said on the pack they could go in at back end of Feb, I did have fleece on until recently. I am up north and we have had a lot of wet weather so maybe that's had an effect?
23/05/2012 at 10:31

If you get nothing, you can eat the leaves in salads.

23/05/2012 at 10:36

Good tip, Alina. I blanch the stems for about 30 seconds, then the leaves for about 10 seconds, drain and dry them them very well, toss them with some nice vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, and P&S. Delicious.

Bettyslad - early Feb in your climate sounds optimistic in the extreme. I don't plant them here in central Italy until at least early April, and I suspect it's warmer here than where you are!

email image
8 messages