London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 10°C
20 messages
21/07/2014 at 17:31

My cherry tomatoes are now ripening - this year I've tried Tumbling Toms. So far I am a little disappointed with the flavour. I have been leaving them on the kitchen window-sill to make sure that they are ripe, but the flavour/juicyness isn't what I hoped. Am I doing something wrong or was it a bad choice ? I water every day and fertilise once/twice a week. I have tried several other varieties in the past, but as I grow in pots in the greenhouse and a lot of room is taken up by the other 'Legend' variety, the Tumbling Toms seemed to be a good idea. What are people's preferences for the best flavour cherry tom ??? Thank you

21/07/2014 at 17:43

Sungold is one of the best.

You say you are leaving the fruit on the windowsill ?  Are you not letting them ripen on the plant at all ?

Too much water always reduces the flavour IMO and you shouldn't need to be giving them a feed at the rate you say.  Once a fortnight if  even that.

I grew Tumbling Toms last year for the first time and I admit I wasn't overly impressed but I think you should look again at your watering/feeding regime to get better results as to flavour

21/07/2014 at 17:51

Thanks for the reply I read on another website - 'Tomato Growing' (recommended on here last year, I think) that it was better to feed tomatoes at a reduced strength, but more often ! So that's what I have been doing As for ripening, I am trying to pick them when they are red, but as they didn't taste as nice as I hoped I thought maybe they weren't ripe !

I've grown Sungold in the past - maybe I'll go back to them next year.

21/07/2014 at 18:34

Suncherry Premium (F1) is an excellent red cherry - almost as sweet as the yellow Sungold which Philippa mentioned.  Those two always have a place here.

21/07/2014 at 18:41

Daisy........Black Cherry are also really well flavoured.......I find they are just a little bit later than Sungold but also slightly larger.....which makes the extra wait worthwhile.

I don't know about the "Tomato Growing" website but reduced strength more often doesn't sound much use to me.  Could be wrong but if you are after flavour, then too much TLC often results in disappointment IMO.

21/07/2014 at 20:55

If you're prepared to take a take a more scientific approach then feeding every day will work wonders if done properly. Little and often etc..

I like to be fed more than once a week 

21/07/2014 at 21:03

We've tried tumbling toms this year and they are watery, we've always grown gardeners delight and they are delicious.

22/07/2014 at 17:58

Pete........that's a fair enough point.  I too like to be fed more than once a week but I wouldn't vouch for what I would taste like

If you can obtain the best flavour by not feeding and watering to excess, I'd think that would be the best way for most amateur growers.  With some plants, little and often is a good idea.....just that in my experience Toms don't require that to produce a good flavoursome crop.

That's my opinion tho.............everyone does things differently.......that is what is so interesting (and frustrating ) about gardening

22/07/2014 at 18:18

Black Cherry definitely worth a try.  Very vigorous, in g/h or outdoors and very tasty.

22/07/2014 at 18:24

28/07/2014 at 18:29

Thank you all for your replies I'll have a look at the Black Cherry - and keep the Sungold as my reserve for next year

28/07/2014 at 18:57

I think the very best flavour is usually to be found in the cordon varieties, e.g. Gardeners' s Delight and my favourite, Sungold. But the bush varieties are less trouble and often give a heavier crop, and they're still pretty good. I grow some of each - this year it's Sungold and Losetto.

28/07/2014 at 21:24

Pleased to see the outcome on this one - I'm growing both this yr, not tried either before, so looking forward to the results. 1st sungold almost ready, black cherry a wee while yet. growing in g/h and outside
I grew Maskotka in a basket this yr - lots of good-size ripe n tasty toms already and masses more to come - will def grow again

28/07/2014 at 21:49

I've grown Maskotka before and found the fruit good, although a little bigger than some cherries. I'd wanted to switch away from the cordon variety to save a bit of space while growing Legend beefsteak tomatoes. Now I just want to grow cherries with flavour Maybe I'll grow a few less plants next year - most of the cherries end up in chutney anyway !

28/07/2014 at 22:02

Hi, last year I grew Cherry Falls and was not impressed with the flavour at all. This year I have been growing Sweet Millions and they are very nice. I have heard a few locals rave about Sungold, so that's on my list for next year.

I water a little first thing in the morning and then again in the evening. I only give them a feed maybe once a fortnight and try to use rainwater from my waterbutts.

29/07/2014 at 19:49

I have grown Sungold with success for a few years but do find that, although very flavoursome, the skins tend to be thick and annoying. In the past, I have grown mini-plum varieties like Rosada which is well worth a try.

29/07/2014 at 20:06

Paul..........how strange.......I've found more or less the opposite to you

I've grown Sungold for several years ( sometimes in G/H but mostly outdoors ) and I've never found them to have thick skins.  They always seem to do well for me.

I've grown Rosada this year for the first time and am really disappointed with them.....the flavour is less than I had hoped for.  I don't think I would bother with them again

29/07/2014 at 20:16

Paul I believe under watering can be a cause of thick skin, or possibly too strong fertilizer.
Most plum toms have a thicker skin as they're bred that way

29/07/2014 at 20:22

Grown Sungold for the first time, not bad. Have grown Garden Pearl for a few years in hanging baskets and they have a good flavour, as does Red Alert and Maskotka.

29/07/2014 at 20:22

What can I say? Taxi!

email image
20 messages