London (change)
Today 7°C / 2°C
Tomorrow 8°C / 7°C
3 messages
30/05/2012 at 10:13

Hi my blueberry lvs have got very yellow, I've just noticed, despite them growing in pots.  Can anyone recommend a pH meter - digital or strips of paper ?- whats the best for long term monitoring ?

I was going to apply ferrous sulphate as a foliar feed as a quick fix before going on hoiiday.  I imagine in the long term I need better monitoring, and slower applictions of ferrous sulphate.

Amy advice appreciated.

Thx

30/05/2012 at 11:31

Are you sure that this is the problem if they're in pots of ericaceous soil? The soil doesn't cease to be acidic - or are you watering with hard water rather than rainwater? Try watering with sequestrine of iron, ferrous sulphate as a foliar feed is unlikely to work. The bushes don't need acid, they need the normal nutrients from soil which they cannot absorb if the soil is alkaline.

30/05/2012 at 11:54

There is a very simple stick in the ground meter to measure aidity - accurate enough for most general purposes.  I grow bluberries in the ground, but top dress with ericaceous compost and water with a good seaweed and iron mixture during the summer.  So far they have done very well and given lots of delicious fruit. 

email image
3 messages