Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Chillis on Thai basil

I grew some Thai basil from seed but it seems to have sprouted black chillis. Is this normal and can they be eaten? I've had a look on the Internet and can't find anything about it.

• Basil plants will not produce chillies.

If they are basil plants they will be basil seedpods.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Ah! That makes sense, they look identical to chillies and I couldn't work out why it would have grown them apart from the fact I'd grown them next to an apache chilli plant - but that didn't make much sense! Thank u for the post
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Can we have a look at a photo Petalootha? I love a mysteryimage

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Of course! How do I post a picture?
  • Click on the green tree icon on the toolbar above where you type your post, and follow the instructions to upload from a pc.  Afraid it doesn't work for phones .... yet

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Hopefully I have attached a picture!

• Looks like a chilli plant too me

• That's what I thought but the seeds were from a packet that said Thai basil. It even had bright purple flowers where the chilli-type things now are.
  • Looks like a chilli plant to me too.  My purple chillies had purple flowers. 

Have you tried eating the leaves - do they taste like Thai basil?

If you slice the seedpods open are they like chillies inside  and is the juice 'hot' ?

Don't rub your eyes!!!

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Don't think I'd be putting that in my Bolognese sauce! image

Perhaps a small hiccup in the seed  packing department! image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...