London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 12°C
5 messages
DMG
23/06/2013 at 12:01

I have a number of patio containers that I like to grow veg in.  I have been mixing very low quality garden soil with better quality garden compost and further with some good quality potting compost (about 1/3 each).  The first two ingredients are from my garden, and the last from a bag.

I've been reading that I shouldn't use ANYTHING from the garden as it may introduce pests/diseases that won't work well in a confined space.  I've been doing not bad so far, everything seems tickety-boo - but have I been just getting lucky?

Can't really afford to spend another £100 on special compost every year to fill up my containers!

Is this a bit of a marketing gimmick or just for people who want to grow prize-winning marrows?

23/06/2013 at 12:30

I'm of the opinion that if it ain't broke don't fix it - if it's working for you I'd carry on.  If you start to get problems then may be the time to try some other strategies, but as you say, who can afford to spend money unnecessarily ? (says she who went out to the GC to get a new broom for the terrace this morning and came back with some more plants and seeds as well )

23/06/2013 at 16:49

I agree with Dove.

And....GC/store bought compost has been fairly unreliable for the past couple of years. With home grow stuff at least you know whats in it. As for introducing pests, this can also happen with new plants bought for the garden, you take your chances.

Try making more of your own stuff, I have leaf mould, muck and a dalek on the go for next year. It all gets mixed together in a wheel barrow along with bought compost...if you fill big pots it can work out expensive to buy.

Try recycling some of your old compost. I save the compost from my spud bags, mix it with fertilser to add nutrients and either put it on flower beds as a mulch or use it for plants which need re-potting. You need to make sure all the spuds are out though, other wise you get random spud plants popping up everywhere          

DMG
23/06/2013 at 19:35

Well we took a trip to homebase to buy a BBQ and I bought some moisture retaining miracle gro stuff that had been damaged so was only a few quid, instead of the usual 7!  I will mix that with my garden stuff and eek it out.

I have my own compost bins but they take ages to produce anything, I presume that I can leave it over winter and the nutrients will be there for the spring?

23/06/2013 at 20:01

Yes, it'll be lovely stuff by the spring 

email image
5 messages