London (change)
Today 16°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 6°C
7 messages
12/02/2013 at 22:19

Hi, new to this forum. We have just become the proud owners of an allotment we have a fruit cage which we have gooseberries, blueberries, raspberry, blackberry, cranberry a nectarine and 2 unidentified small trees. We read our contract and we can't have fruit trees except cordoned fruit trees. So we want to get an apple, eating apple and plum or cherry and put them up against the edge what goes onto the dirt track so no one will get any roots but us.

What i was wondering was if anyone knew a good place to get some cordoned trees from, what are good types to have to give plenty of fruit but also anyone who has any advice or experience with cordoned trees i.e. how easy it is to grow them, what preparations needed or growing tips, etc.

All help would be appreciated, thank you

13/02/2013 at 11:42

Hi,

I recently purchased 2 trees from Ashridge Nurseries which I intend to grow as espalier trees. Really pleased with the quality and the service.

www.Allotment-Web.org

13/02/2013 at 13:44

The bramley I trained along the fence was a cheap one at the supermarket and its doing well and is 6ft and splayed.You can train any its how you do it.

13/02/2013 at 15:46

Thompson & Morgan have some good cordened trees.

http://search.thompson-morgan.com/search?w=cordon+fruit+trees

21/02/2013 at 12:07

try chris bowers or blackmoor nurseries they sell bare-root, cordons and supercolumns (ballerina style). 

22/02/2013 at 15:42

I grow cordon fruit trees and they are very easy to grow and maintain. I would start with bare rooted maidens as these are quicker to establish and cheaper than pot grown two/three year old ones. As long as you pick the right type and rootstock for a restricted form of tree then you'll be fine. For apples I'd go for a M26 rootstock, or if your soil is poor or the variety you're growing is a less vigorous grower then MM106 rootstock would be better. Don't grow a tip bearing apple as these aren't suited to being grown this way. I would also suggest pears grown as cordons rather than plum or cherry which are probably too vigorous and not ideal for cordons (free standing, ie standard, or fans are better for these in my opinion).

Keepers nursery probably have the widest selection of apple/fruit varieties and different rootstocks than anywhere else. Their website is also a good reference for fruit types. You're probably too late for this season for bareroot choices though.

There are loads of apples and pears well suited to growing as cordons, Fiesta, Greensleeves and Scumptious are good choices for eating apples. Sunset is another one. Annie Elizabeth is a not too vigorous cooking apple that would be well suited too. Bramley, although a fantastic apple is probably a little too vigorous to be grown as a cordon.

If you did want to grow pears then Beth, Onward, Concorde and Conference are all fantastic varieties to grow.

As with all newly planted trees, keep them well watered in the first couple of seaons and if starting from a maiden don't let them fruit for at least the first year to give the roots a chance to get well developed to support fruit production. It's always very temping to let them fruit early but trust me you'll benefit by being a little patient.

22/02/2013 at 16:11
Growing apples and pears as cordons and espaliers is fun. Advice above is good, viz get spur bearing trees not tip bearers. Deacons on isle of wight are excellent....they give advice as well as supplying trees.
email image
7 messages