London (change)
Today 9°C / 4°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 9°C
1 to 20 of 22 messages
05/03/2014 at 10:45

Hello all,  my fig tree has been in a pot for a few years, but last year the wind took it over on a couple of occasions.  Has any one buried there fig tree (still in its pot to restrict growth) in the garden, did it work?  This year because it has been so mild I have lots of figs on it, so I'm hoping for a good crop.

Thank you

05/03/2014 at 12:26

Alison,when i do plant figs in the ground the pit needs to be about 2 feet x 2 feet restricted by slabs etc open rubble bottom for good drainage for a fig to settle and fruit, big pots are good also perhaps a bigger (one size up is normal) or if fig is well established a 24 inch and heavier pot, or tie the tree to wall or stake depending where its going, my last years cuttings are being potted on to 12 inch pots for the first year then bigger ones or pits, next year ,re-positioned figs can sometimes suffer from shock loss of leaves etc but do recover.  good luck.

05/03/2014 at 13:26

Root control bags http://www.readsnursery.co.uk/products/Root-control-bag.html are an easy way to control the roots of figs when planted in the ground.

05/03/2014 at 14:07

Thank you both.  The root control bags look ideal, thankyou for sending the website.

05/03/2014 at 14:09

I'm sure Alan will agree that Reads Nursery are very helpful, so if you need advice re the root control bags you could email them 

05/03/2014 at 19:39

Alison, if you have figs bigger than a pea and recognisably figs, you should remove them, they will come to nothing if you are in the UK.  Look closely at them and you will see they are not perfect.

The figs that will develop and ripen later this summer are at the top of the branches, and are as yet small.

05/03/2014 at 19:41

Also if your fig has been in the same pot for 'a few years' it will be in need of a re-pot and/or feed.  Do not just bury the pot.

06/03/2014 at 11:06

Hi Dove iv just messaged Reads to see how the root bags perform once in the ground,as i dont want the roots to escape in a few years and lose some of the fruit, if they work then its a heck of a lot easier and cheaper than the slabs, hears hoping, and i wonder if anyone has used this method for any length of time on here.

Alan  

12/03/2014 at 18:42

What is the problem with just planting the fig?

12/03/2014 at 20:00

If the fig's roots are not restricted in some way if they are in good soil you will get lots of growth and few fruit.  

The trick with fruit trees is to make them think they might, just might, die, then they produce fruit to propagate themselves.

12/03/2014 at 20:24

I've just ordered a root bag from Reads, I understood that figs fruited better if their roots were restricted.  I've had this tree for 5 years now, so do need to change its growing conditions.  So plan to pot it up in John Innes and put it in the garden. 

I'm sure you are right Welshonion, the fig tree at the moment is still trussed up in its winter cover, but I can see lots of 'figs' where the side of the plant is against the conservatory window.  I guess I just got excited.

Has anyone a fig in the garden that they don't cover for the winter.  i live on the east coast of Lincolnshire, so we tend not to get so many frosts, but thought our winters were still too cold for the tree.

Thanks for all your help

13/03/2014 at 12:09

Hi Allison, figs grow very well on the coast,i have several on the  Norfolk coast one is 20 years old restricted now to 20 feet wide and 10 feet tall, covered in new shoots ,iv just pruned out all inward growing and damaged and week shoots, in 2 weeks after the frost im tipping all new shoots (very tip only ) not the fruit bud, they are getting fish blood and bone with seaweed chopped up, and mulched,im watering a bit now then more when in fruit with a good dollop of Potash for good fruit, mid spring ONLY if growing well i will cut new shoots back to  4 or 5 leaves but no later, or they wont ripen, good luck  in Lincs

13/03/2014 at 12:37

I have a fig in a large terracotta pot on a south-east facing terrace here in Norfolk.  I didn't fleece it this winter although I did bubble-wrap the pot to protect it in case of hard frosts.  If the temps had dropped a long way I'd have draped some fleece over the tree but a friend who lived in North Norfolk had a Brown Turkey outside for years and gave it no protection whatsoever and it fruited every year. 

13/03/2014 at 13:55

Once again thank you for that.  I'm so looking forward to getting it into the garden, and realising it doesn't need winter protection is a real bonus.  Thanks too for the pruning advise

13/03/2014 at 15:12

I have planted some figs and wonder if anyone has some good recopies for using them. I use a dehydrator to preserve herbs and veg and expect to dry some figs if they do well.

We had a fig in a pot for 3 years and it did nothing, just sulked. I planted it into the ground last summer and it has taken off well. We do live in a warm climate and the confining roots is not done here.

14/03/2014 at 10:45

yes Flora i understand that heavy type soils work well by restricting a bit,looser easy soils tend to let em fly and we tend to lose some of the crop,iv got 7 new cuttings from last year just woken up and starting off,im going to try potting 3 restricting in the open garden 2 and a couple left to roam as they will,see who gives the best crops in a few years, just waiting for the frost to finish, looking forward to selling our new produce on the car boot, cheers all 

14/03/2014 at 13:06

Alan that sounds interesting - do you have a thread about selling what you grow? I would really like to sell my custard/chocolate/lemon/coconut pies at the farmers market but one has to have a commercial kitchen and certification to sell any foods which require refrigeration. I would use my wild chicken eggs and local dairy milk, and have a great product if I could.

14/03/2014 at 15:03

Sorry floradog in our little village people make and sell all kinds of stuff, all home grown,spuds etc,cracking  pickles,jams that make shop bought stuff look and taste very very sad ,all left at the gate on a tray,stool,little home made shelves ,put money in box please type of living,so no red tape here in Mundesley,only licences here are for the dogs ,its a very very dog friendly village. good luck

14/03/2014 at 15:35

Alan - Dog Licences were abolished in 1987 - but then we're a bit behind the times here in Norfolk 

14/03/2014 at 19:45

My root bag arrived today, so am getting excited at planting the tree in the garden tomorrow.  Thanks again for all your help and advice

1 to 20 of 22 messages