20 messages
13/07/2013 at 16:07

Hi,

I've just picked and podded some peas. There are too much for tonights dinner. I'm thinking that freezing the rest would be best. Is it preferable to blanch them prior to freezing or not?

Greg

13/07/2013 at 16:33

I always blanch them, just a minute or 2 in boiling water then leave them to dry on kitchen towel on a tray and when cool remove kitchen towel, put tray in freezer and bag up when frozen so that peas stay separate. But you didn't ask for all that. Sorry! Being bossy!

13/07/2013 at 17:17
Hi Greg 2 look at this one loads of info Freezing Vegetables A to Z - Growveggies.net
13/07/2013 at 17:24

I wouldn't blanch them for so long.  As soon as they come back to the boil is long enough.

For large quantities: Put a washing-up bowl (or whatever you can fit in) in the freeezer with water in the bottom.  Freeze the water.  Blanch the veg and after draining pour onto the ice to which you have added some water - not too much.

For smaller quantities pour into ice cubes and water. 

Blanched vegetables should be cooled completely in the same time they were blanched for.

13/07/2013 at 19:20

For blanching times I use a book from the Reader's Digest, "Food From Your Garden" that I've had for over 40 years, it always works perfectly. The enzymes that spoil frozen food should be destroyed without over blanching. I use it for making jams and jellies as well.

14/07/2013 at 09:01

I'm with Welshonion. As soon as they come back to the boil at an absolute maximum. I usually don't even wait that long. All you want to do is stun the pea's growth enzyme and contact with the boiling water is usually enough for that.

07/07/2014 at 20:51

Is it absolutely necessary to blanch peas before freezing?  I have read on the web that some folk don't but I've a bumper harvest and don't want to ruin them.  Has anyone tried to freeze without blanching?

07/07/2014 at 20:56

I always freeze them without blanching

07/07/2014 at 21:55

This question is back a year later. I still maintain that they should be blanched and cooled quickly, as in my answer above. This time I have looked at Google too which agrees. Most people then cool in ice cold water, I don't as they should be as dry as possible to freeze and I have found that peas and beans cool very quickly when spread out on trays and the water evaporates. I did a year's course in dietetics and cookery when I was young and we learnt that enzymes in vegetables destroy the flavour of unblanched frozen vegetables.

This is an example of what I found on Google. One article even said blanch for 2 -3 minutes, which I'm sure is too long.

All fruits and vegetables contain enzymes and bacteria that, over time, break down the destroy nutrients and change the color, flavor, and texture of food during frozen storage. peas requires a brief heat treatment, called blanching, in boiling water or steam, to destroy the enzymes before freezing. Blanching times for peas is 1 and a half minutes (90 seconds) - the duration is just long enough to stop the action of the enzymes and kill the bacteria.

07/07/2014 at 21:59
The only veg that I cook before freezing is beetroot... Every late Autumn I have a chest freezer full of own grown produce.
07/07/2014 at 22:09

IGrow....I'd never thought of freezing beetroot.......I love it but either eat fresh or I pickle (not the same I know ).  What do you do ?  Cook completely ? Part cook ?  Whole roots or sliced ?  Be pleased to know so I can try.  Thanks

07/07/2014 at 22:23
I struggle to get peas before the pea moth!
07/07/2014 at 22:32

Don't you even blanch brussel sprouts iGrow? They taste disgusting if you don't blanch them.

07/07/2014 at 22:40
Cook as if you were going to eat them or pickle them and either slice or chunk before freezing. If chunking for putting in curry I may not always cook as thoroughly.
I have little success with brussels and don't bother freezing any.
07/07/2014 at 22:56

Thanks for the replies..  perhaps we should do a trial with blanched and unblanched peas and compare results.  I have already frozen a small quantity unblanched. 

07/07/2014 at 23:01

I daren't even try to grow peas let alone freeze them. OH would be eating them straight from the plant.

08/07/2014 at 00:30
Busy-Lizzie, Brussels taste disgusting from the freezer whether you blanch them or not. They stand on the plant through the winter and they are in the shops from September to March, so I wouldn't waste valuable freezer space on them.
08/07/2014 at 00:38

Would agree with that wholeheartedly.....frozen Brussels are practically inedible......not worth the space, effort, electricity

08/07/2014 at 09:12

I don't freeze them, but when my son in law did, without blanching, they were inedible.

08/07/2014 at 14:00
Well, if he had blanched them they would have been the same.

Commercially frozen vegetables are different. They use blast freezers and the result is not the same.
email image
20 messages