London (change)
Today 13°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 9°C
7 messages
17/04/2013 at 15:21

Just got four fruit trees given.They have been in pots for about 10 months.There is 1 Apple 1 Cherry and 2 Pear.Can they be planted at any time of the year from there pots.And what and when to feed them?

17/04/2013 at 22:40

Hi Tel, yes you can plant potted fruit trees into the ground at any time, but now would be good.  Dig a hole about twice the width and a bit deeper than the height of the pots and mix a couple of handfuls of blood, fish and bone fertiliser with the dug-out soil.  Break the soil up in the bottom of the hole with a fork.  Partially back-fill the hole with the fertilised soil and temporarily place the pot in the hole so that the top of soil inside the pot is at the same height as the surrounding soil.  Once you get it level, remove the pot and plant the tree, back-filling the hole and firming the soil with your heel as you go.  Water well and at least once a week for the rest of the year so that the roots can become well established.  I would also put in stakes and use tree-ties to protect against  wind rocking the trees which will damage any young new roots which start growing.  They won't need any further fertilising until next year when you can sprinkle the area with a couple more handfuls of fish, blood and bone and do that each year in the spring.

26/04/2013 at 19:36

hi Bob,Sorry about the delay in replying been in hospital everything ok.Thanks for your advise if I don't get them in the ground soon should I feed them in there pots to feed the fruit.?

26/04/2013 at 21:13

Hi Tel, hope you're OK.  Yes, if you can't get them in the ground, then feed them in the pots.  The easiest thing to use is tomato fertiliser, mixed with water as advised on the label.  Tomato fertiliser is a good general purpose feed for fruit trees and other fruting plants.

27/04/2013 at 22:21

hi looking for some advice planted two potted apple trees last autumn useing the the same method but have noticed that one has buds the other one the main stem and all the branches have gone dark brown with  no buds showing also white spot on tree

what has caused this any thoughts

28/04/2013 at 17:08

Hi Bob,

Good to read your simple to understand advice.I had planted 1 dwarf Fig tree last year,but without the bone+blood feed(though I used tomoato feed),1 cherry tree(same way)

Today 2 plum trees from pot(plums Victoria+plum greengage)about 12 feet apart.Dug a hole,pot some compost from council,planted the trees and covered with garden soil.

Is this ok or replant using your method?Further maintance ?

Thanks

Anil

28/04/2013 at 19:52

Hi Anil, I think your trees will be fine.  The compost you added will provide plenty of nourishment for the rest of the year, but watering occasionally (eg once a month) with tomato feed is a good idea, especially when the blossom and fruit appear.  Blood fish and bone is good for adding to bare soil, but not essential by any means.  The main thing is making sure the trees have enough water while they grow their new roots, so water at least once a fortnight from now until the leaves drop in the autumn.  If pot-grown trees get too dry when planted in the ground, they can easily be damaged or may even die.

email image
7 messages