Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Golden courgette

Can't find any small plants anywhere, so wondered if I am still in time to germinate some seeds indoors?

Only want a couple of plants as I'm growing them in pots!

Thanks image

• figratfigrat Posts: 1,619

I think you'd be fine. Everything's about 6 weeks behind.

• Thanks Figrat image Hope they do ok in a pot...my ones in bed last year were ruined by fungus as it was so wet...

• Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,817

Now is the time. Only sowed my seeds last week.

Last year was so damp, I don't think many people escaped that give it a try again.

• Hi Jess,

Don't forget, if you're growing a greedy feeder like a courgette in a pot, you may need to feed it throughout the season.

Allotment-Web.org

• thanks Matty and AW - you've given me some courage!

• By the way, what's the best variety for a container and possibly for a smaller space?

Just had a look at these seeds and my mind boggled!

http://search.thompson-morgan.com/search?w=courgette+plants

• Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,817

T&M do one that is more upright and takes a lot less space  called 'Venus'

• Thanks Matty image

• It better not be too late, as I've just recieved some seeds in another magazine I subscribe to!!

I planted some ordinary courgette seeds last weekend, in a windowsill propogator using jiffy 7 pellets.  They're already pushing the top off the propogator.  I put the top back on at night to keep them a bit warmer, as they're in the sunniest bedroom (my son's), so there are thermal blackout curtains up in there (otherwise he'd be up with the sun in the summer), so it can get cold at night on the windowsill.

I really need to pot them on very soon, the roots have raced through the nets, and are starting to look for more compost.  I'm gettiing very good results using the coir pellets, I don't think I will be going back to ordinary seed compost any time soon.  They don't take up loads of space, either, so will be buying these again.

• Coir pellets?

And there was me thinking compost with a sprinkle of vermiculite was quite advanced image