London (change)
Today 10°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 10°C
81 to 99 of 99 messages
21/06/2014 at 19:02

The thing you have to look at is the dilution rate.  Some brands are rather weak and you have to put more in a watering can per gallon, so they don't work out cheaper after all.

21/06/2014 at 20:01

I've never bought tomato feed before this Aldi stuff, but I thought 15ml per gallon sounded very good value?

I bought vegetable feed from Lidl before, and that was 1 large cap-full per 3L, which isn't as strong. I must compare Aldi's vegetable feed next time I'm there. I'll probably get another bottle of tomato feed because I'll use it on dahlias, gladioli and lilies as well as my tomatoes.

25/06/2014 at 19:09

Tomsk, yes tomato feed is good for a number of plants in the greenhouse. I use it for cucumbers, peppers, melons, etc. and it works well.

16/07/2014 at 19:23

Overall, my tomatoes seem to be going OK, though I think they're very late in developing because I was very late in transplanting them from small pots into proper soil. But tiny tomatoes are now forming and I'm hopeful that this year's wonderful summer will last.

However, I've noticed that recently new leaves on most of my plants are starting off shrivelled up and then grow into leaves with the tips shrivelled up or under-developed. is this because I had them in 3" pots for far too long or something else?

I searched Google for this and the only suggestions I can find are that my plants were exposed to weed killer, but I am certain they were not, especially in the spot I kept the 3" pots.

So any other ideas? The plants are continuing to grow, and the stems all look healthy. It's just the tips of the very top leaves that are growing shrivelled. Here's a photo of some leaves that appeared completely shrivelled but then grew into almost normal leaves but the further toward the tip they get, the more shrivelled they remain:

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/52776.jpg?width=350

17/07/2014 at 08:34

Herbicide damage can produce those results, Tomsk, but so can a host of other things like plant stress and even a virus. If the plants are otherwise healthy, and don't produce any other worrying symptoms, I'd just keep an eye on them and wait for the toms.

17/07/2014 at 08:52

Hi Tomsk

I had the same thing happening with two of my tomato plants, I have all of them in the same compost and equal growing conditions, and i cant find any explanation for this other than some sort of virus

I had new growth coming through and it was twisted like that I nipped it off and the new side shoot that grew was fine with no sign of shrivelling, but on the plant the crop is poor

17/07/2014 at 14:22

I think red spider mite/aphids/other pests can do that to leaves too. My chillies and tomatoes last year suffered from that a lot and they were infested. It could be a coincidence, but whenever they haven't had bug problems the leaves have been fine. 

17/07/2014 at 15:30

..I've got half a dozen tomato plants in the greenhouse in pots... all are fine except one where all the leaves have curled up...the fruit that's developing looks good and the plant is growing well otherwise...lots of flowers etc... just all the leaves have folded over... anyone know what might cause this...?

17/07/2014 at 15:36

Could be any number of reasons, Salino. Is the roll up or down? In other words, are the edges going up or under?

17/07/2014 at 17:01

..thanks for replying Italophile..   they are like this - what do you think..?

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/52826.jpg?width=273&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/52827.jpg?width=273&height=350&mode=max

17/07/2014 at 17:14

.would being pot bound cause this? I can't say it's in a huge container as it isn't... it was a leftover plant I didn't want to throw away so I just put it in a black plastic pot...10 litre size... funnily enough it was growing better than any of the others until this happened just recently...all of a sudden it seemed to me...

17/07/2014 at 22:37
Mine do this often with this heat we're having but plenty of water and they near enough all return back to normal.
That's my advice anyway but I'm just a first timer so I'm sure there's plenty others on here that know a hell of a lot more than me! =)
17/07/2014 at 22:48

..thanks Dan... I'm inclined to think it's because it is pot bound... all my others are in much larger pots and they do not show this... I've added some more compost to the surface and watered well.. also removed some of those leaves...there were too many I think and I've now exposed the fruit...lots of fruit on it to ripen, so hope this brings it along a bit...  not a great problem...

..thanks again Dan...

17/07/2014 at 22:57
None of mine are in pots any larger than 10 litres, like I say though when I've been getting in from work and it's hot you can see the leaves have all curled and the plants look rather withered but I give them a good water and a few hours later they look right as rain again!
I've also been leaving my greenhouse door open aswell as the vents as I think it's getting a bit too hot for them in there, dunno of this is what everyone does anyway...?
17/07/2014 at 23:07

..yeah, I leave the door open this weather Dan.... my plant is also in 10 litre pot... I had been thinking it was on the small side... but maybe I use it again next year then...

.see how it is tomorrow....

18/07/2014 at 07:34

Salino, note the purpling of the leaf veins and around the edges in the first photo. I think you could be looking at plant stress with maybe a phosphorous deficiency. There are viruses that will cause similar issues but I have no idea whether they exist in the UK home gardens.

18/07/2014 at 09:45

..oh.ok Italophile thanks for that.... I hadn't noticed the purple until you mentioned it...  see how it goes from here.....maybe I've not been feeding it too much..

28/07/2014 at 12:44

Here is the link to my latest video about How to grow Tomatoes (Part 6). I hope that you enjoy it.  http://youtu.be/5auHkqfsUpc

01/08/2014 at 18:05

My tomatoes are really cropping well now, I guess most folk are doing well with the decent weather? My latest video, taken a week ago shows cropping, a tomato plant that stopped growing and some other useful advice for this stage of the tomatoes growing year. http://youtu.be/5auHkqfsUpc

email image
81 to 99 of 99 messages