Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Help making feed for plants

ninnin Posts: 216

I want to try and make as much home made plant feed as possible this year and to that end have filled a bin with nettles and water to stew.

I grow lots of toms, cues  and fruit and veg and I understand the nettle soup may not be best for the fruiting veg, is there something similar i can do for them ?

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

Nettles are full of nitrogen so good for leafy plants.   Comfrey makes good feed for flowering and fruiting plants as it has more potassium.

I haven't tried it yet but I'm told that even mare's tail makes a good feed.  Just needs a bit longer to break down. 

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190

Too much nitrogen will make nice green bushy plants but if you want them to flower you need to use high potash content.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,657

Nin your nettle tea is good for giving strength to young plants due to the nitrogen content,dilute it to look like  weakish tea then later on for fruit and flowers Potash is what they want, get your timing right and your good to go, if your near the coast Seaweed is very good for micro nutrients my figs love it, good luck. 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Comfrey is looking good at the moment. If you have any near to you in wild areas, gather as much as you can , stuff it in on old dustbin, and put a weight on it. dilute resultant brown stuff to colour of weak tea before using.

• Hi

Just popping in to say that I have comfrey in my garden, its flowering at the moment and the bees just love it.  If you are collecting wild stuff, it might be best to wait till flowering is over so the bees can benefit first.

I will be harvesting mine for plant feed then - I have both a plastic and galvanised metal dustbin available. Which would be best?  Do I put water in first or after they have died down?

Thanks

• ninnin Posts: 216

woops think i might have pulled up comfrey when weeding and stuck in the compost heap.