London (change)
Today 13°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 14°C
21 to 24 of 24 messages
04/09/2013 at 12:31

Wise words, I may go for an early and a late setting. Before this year I last visited Japan in November 2010. Then we were having temps of 20-25 during the day and still 10-15 at night.

i have some habanero on the go now and can observe how they grow into this autumn, have to say though they are proper shooting up at the moment. I don't know if they'll set any fruit this year, at the speed they're growing I'm hoping so

In the UK I was a garden potterer! But here I have the opportunity to do much more so I expect a sharp learning curve. I also expect some success and a few disasters!

04/09/2013 at 12:38

Even if 2010 was unusual, it sounds like you've got a great growing season.

The only secrets to growing toms and chillies are to keep things simple, don't molly-coddle them, and don't fret over them. Providing you start with decent soil, your only real role is to keep them alive. And to enjoy the results.

08/09/2013 at 09:15

I just read an article Over wintering peppers about over wintering peppers.

tthe coldest temperature where I am during the nighttime in January would be about 5c with an average of about 7-10c

ive been wondering about caring for my peppers and was thinking to make some cloches for them out of PET bottles.

i can bring my planters indoors out of the worst of the wind and rain but my dear lady wife will object if they're indoors from the beginning of December to the end of Feb.

Would placing them on a heat mat be enough?

thoughts most welcome

08/09/2013 at 09:21

Technically they're perennials but they're best grown as annuals unless you're in at least sub-tropical conditions. They need sufficient light as much as warmth. And, to be honest, even if you nurse them through, the output in the second season never matches their first season in terms of either numbers or quality.

email image
21 to 24 of 24 messages