Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Indoor Grape Vines how to look after?

When should I start to water my Grape vine Vitis Frankenthaler Black Hamburg ,it is in a medium sized terra cotta pot in the conservatory at the moment.

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    I dont think anyone has one as no one has comented, i havent either but there is a good web site called 'learn2grow' maybe if you google that you will get some info, it does cover gardening of all sorts, this site is more of a general chat site.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• marshmellomarshmello Posts: 683

My experience with grape is limited. Not worth talking about, sorry.

• jatnikapyarjatnikapyar Posts: 419

Hi Peter9, grapes are dead easy, especially the variety you have. They do well out of doors too if you are in a mild area. Easy to strike too. It will be safe to start watering it now, especially if it has small shoots showing. Look forward to seeing fruits as it is spoilt in a conservatory!If it is a couple of years old, it should do so soon. Enjoy watching it grow and the fruit.image

• Peace22Peace22 Posts: 4

Can I grow the grape vines in a large pot outside on a pergola? Can some one advise please?

• Peter9Peter9 Posts: 2

Many thanks to everyone who has commented. At the moment it only has small buds rather than shoots so maybe I should hold back with the watering. I look forward to many happy hours watching the flowering and fruiting unfold.

As a brief PS has anyone else ever seen a Dusky Warbler in their garden?

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I don't think I'd recognise a dusky warbler Peter. I do have a number of 'little brown birds' still waiting to be identified

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

Peter, I'd be tempted to give it a little water if the top couple of inches in the pot is dry.  I grow a huge one outdoors (it's at least 40 years old and 50-60ft long) and it is as tough as old boots.  Whatever you do though, do not prune it now or it will bleed, possibly to death.  If you are growing it along the length og the GH, train it using the 'rod and spur' system and once you see the fruit forming in a few months, count 2 or 3 leaves from the bunch towards the growing tip of the shoot (spur) and nip it off there.  Those 2/3 leaves will be ample to feed the developing grapes, but if you let the shoots keep growing (and, boy, do they grow fast!), the vine will waste its energy in them instead of putting it into the fruit.  Don't let more than one bunch of grapes form per spur.  Growing as a standard is slightly different (see RHS link below.)

As it's in a pot, once it starts growing, water very regularly and feed occasionally with something like tomato feed.

Ideally, you would plant the vine permantly just outside the GH and train it inside through a small opening, or plant it in the GH border.  See the comprehensive RHS advice for glasshouse grape cultivation:

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=287

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.