London (change)
Today 20°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 19°C / 14°C
7 messages
07/01/2014 at 17:26

I would like to get advices, how to start. Is there anybody who already owns one?
I am living in an apartment, is it possible to make something inside, like a nano-kitchen garden?

07/01/2014 at 19:12

Have you got big window sills?

You could start with cress; put 2 sheets of kitchen paper on a dinner plate, make it nice and damp, sprinkle on cress seeds. Keep moist and in a few days you can harvest. You can grow bean sprouts (I use mung beans) alfalfa, radish sprouts etc. I would think some kinds of lettuce could be grown. Mushrooms can be grown indoors too. Good luck with it

07/01/2014 at 22:22

Okay, thanks I'll try that

What about those herbs which you can buy in the supermarkets? Those are already planted. I remember we bought one, but it died really soon. 

07/01/2014 at 22:36

Nant - take a think of what plants you use in your cooking, I've had basil, mint, parsley, and chives (amongst others) growing on the windowsill just fine.

08/01/2014 at 14:39

Nant, to keep those supermarket herbs I find it best to transplant into a slightly larger pot using some bought compost/growing medium, place on a old saucer or bowl and water from the base, so when the bowl is dry - a little more water. They do need a light window sill. Baby bio now do a plant food for herbs, but don't be tempted to overdose them.

09/01/2014 at 18:45

Thanks I'll write as soon as I managed ^^

10/01/2014 at 08:19

You can use small seed trays and plant varieties of lettuce and 'cut and come again' varieties and grow them on the windowsill now, cutting them as needed.  One of my essentials each year is to grow peas for their shoots.  Any old container will do (last year I used a couple of butler sinks and a couple of polystyrene boxes),  sow the peas fairly close together and wait.  Cut the shoots for salads and stir frys.  Sow a new batch every 3 weeks or so to ensure an ongoing supply, each batch will last for at least 2-3 cuttings.  I cant see any reason why this couldn't be done inside.  Also try rocket, basil (lots of varieties avaialble - dont over-water), mint, corriander and don't forget chillis and peppers etc!  Good luck!

email image
7 messages