London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 25°C / 15°C
15 messages
05/04/2014 at 14:40

I am on top of the world all my veg has germinated this is my first time to ever to grow veg i have Carrots,Leeks & Cabbage

Carrots.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/41588.jpg?width=272&height=350&mode=max

Leeks.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/41589.jpg?width=544&height=350&mode=max

Cabbage.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/41590.jpg?width=272&height=350&mode=max

Any tips on when to split and plant out would be welcomed i have raised 6ft square foot beds for them to go in.

05/04/2014 at 15:30

The're looking good Mikey and they should all do well in raised beds.

Carrots won't like being moved, I'm afraid; the long taproot is formed very early and will be damaged if you move the plant.  Best to sow them where you want them to grow.  But give it a try by all means.  I should sow some more though, in rows outside.

Leeks and cabbages, on the oher hand, positively benefit from being moved in my experience.

The leeks can stay in their trays till they're a few inches high.  Then harden them off and move them outside, possibly into a nursery bed, or where you want them to stay.  Make a hole a few inches deep with a dibber; trim off excessively long roots with scissors and drop a leek in each hole.  When you've done them all, gently fill each hole with water.  Don't fill in with soil.  This gives them room to expand and makes those tasty white leaf bases. (If you're going via a nursery bed , you only do this rigmarole when you finally put them in their permanent homes!)

Cabbages like firm soil and lime.   Very carefully transfer each one to a large module or 3" pot when they have a couple of proper leaves. After a few more weeks (when thhave about 5 leaves) harden them off, then sprinkle a little ground limestone in the planting hole and plant them firmly and deeply - right up to the first leaf or even a bit more.  Firm them in well and give them a good drink.  Then have one yourself.  Dont forget to net them or the pigeons and caterpillars will have the lot!

Good luck!

05/04/2014 at 19:00
Thanks Steve the help is appreciated, I can leave these carrots where they are both the leeks & carrots are in two homemade flower boxes which are about a foot and half deep and aready outside do you think that depth will be ok for me to just leave these carrots there, I will also grow some carrots in the raised bed.Thanks again for the help
12/04/2014 at 19:18

Update on my Cabbage the seedlings are going great

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/42199.jpg?width=272&height=350&mode=max

They are well over half inch now and i have ended up with more than thought

when should i separate them tbh i am very scared as its my first time growing veg.

14/04/2014 at 11:51

18" depth is fine for carrots unless you intend to grow real monsters!  Leave them where they are - but thin them out if you want them to get much thicker.  If you see what I mean.

Yes - thin out those cabbage seedlings too.  In fact they could be transplanted into individual pots as I mentioned above.  It looks in the photo as if they're a bit tall and thin, with one-sided light: plant them deep in their pots, get them in the brightest light you can and turn them round every day.  The sooner they go out in the sunshine (well, daylight) the better - as long as you get them used to the lower temperature gradually.  Water them well into their next home as the roots will suffer from  being moved.  They'll soon recover though.  

If you're sowing carrots outside (this is the ideal time), do it thinly - no more than a seed every inch or two along the row.  This avoids the need to thin them out later, which can attract pests.

14/04/2014 at 13:07

Mikey - I'm worried about those cabbage seedlings  , they're far too long and thin because they're getting insufficient light and the temperature is too warm.  They should be short and stocky like this 

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/42363.jpg?width=350

as Steve says, get them outside as soon as possible, and until then turn them around every day - you can increase the even-ness of the light they're getting by putting a sheet of white card behind them - this will reflect light back on them, as a photographer does with white parasols and big white sheets of card.

Don't want to be a pessimist, but to be honest I'd sow another lot, much more thinly and give them much better light.  Sorry. 

14/04/2014 at 20:13

Thanks both i will pot the cabbage up tomorrow i did think they were a bit tall & thin.I have built a raised bed in which i will sow new seeds of all the veg i used the boxes for carrots and leeks as a learning test i will be using raised beds which i built to grow my veg properly i appreciate all the help a lot as i am going through the trial and error period thanks again

Dovefromabove no need to be sorry i appreciate the help i am a newbie to all this so there will times i get it all wrong like my cabbage and with out people's honesty i would not learn

14/04/2014 at 20:33

Yeah, but it's a bit of a roller coaster isn't it?  One minute the beetroot seedlings  look great - the next minute the fence painter has stepped on them - but we're all in this together 

14/04/2014 at 21:36
A very big roller coaster Dove but I love it I hope to one day have enough experience to start seed swapping etc.. it will feel well good when the day comes for someone to want some of my plant/flower seeds
15/04/2014 at 19:20
Dovefromabove I took your advice on the cabbage to start again, I was quite lucky to salvage over a dozen seedlings which had only just broke though so I potted them to just underneath the leafs, I built a cold frame to so they are outside
16/04/2014 at 06:44

Good luck - let us know how you get on 

16/04/2014 at 11:23

Sounds like you're on the right track Mikey, and those fingers are indeed turning green.

I had some calabrese seedlings that looked just like those cabbage ones (coz I left an opaque cover on too long) so I've binned them and started again - outside now as it's so much warmer.  On t'other hand, the summer cabbages (Primo) that I raised in the g/h were planted out yesterday and looked great.   Swings and roundabouts.

16/04/2014 at 19:40
Thanks Steve

Well fingers crossed the cabbages I rescued looked ok today in there new pots outside I will take a picture in a few days if there ok.
19/04/2014 at 22:14

I planted greyhound cabbage plants out today in cold frame hope slugs don't eat the lot ???? 

20/04/2014 at 22:45
Furball put a glass of beer in your cold frame I heard about it on here and it works the smell must attract them and they drown in the beer.
email image
15 messages