London (change)
Today 20°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 13°C
14 messages
06/02/2014 at 08:02
My family and I will be moving into a beautiful new house on April 11th. A lot of my favourite plants will transplanted in pots but I would like to make use of the huge greenhouse and vegetable plot in the first year (I'm only accustomed to a 6x2m allotment for my veg). I realise I will be starting relatively late 8th the year so are there any particular things I should avoid trying to grow? I will be starting some things from seed here before moving.
06/02/2014 at 08:12

Will the veg plot be ready to use when you take it over or does it need a bit of work?

I think your moving date is fine - as long as you can get into that greenhouse straight away.

In that situation I'd  start tomatoes and courgettes/squashes off just before you move, so they can go into the greenhouse when you get there, and get your potatoes chitted so they're ready to plant when you arrive. 

Most other things can be sown directly into the soil - they'll not suffer any setback from planting out and will soon catch up with things that are started off early - I'm a great believer in direct sowing if you have the space in the veg plot. 

06/02/2014 at 16:43

Simon being an old gardener with old fashioned ways I would plant the good old spud they will more or less grow in any soil with a bit of help. Good luck wi yer new garden.

06/02/2014 at 18:42

It would be grat to see some photos of your new garden when you get there!

07/02/2014 at 00:06
The veg plot will be ready to use and the greenhouse is intact so I'm aiming for a flying start. I have my trusty seed box ready and currently selecting squashes for starting in the conservatory of my current house. Spuds are the one veg item I've never even attempted to grow (no space) although I'm told these new spud bags you can grow on patios are easy to use. In the new place they can go straight into the ground.
I haven't got much in the way of tomato seeds but we do have a very good garden centre in Oxfordshire so I'll have my pick of young plants.

We really fell on our feet with the garden of our first family home. Most new builds come with a postage stamp sized patch of grass but this garden hearkens back to the war. It has a patio leading to a giant flower bed, two play lawns for when our 1 year old learns to walk, workshop, greenhouse, veg plot and even a little suntrap hidden in the back where I can hide all the out of season terracotta pots until the bulbs inside are ready to be wheeled into the main garden for their debut. There's a lot of work to be done (two buddliea that need battling back for a start) but I'm going to love every bit of it. I will happily post pictures on here in April and maybe you can all help me identify some of the plants in the borders.
07/02/2014 at 00:27

Sounds wonderful Simon!  It is always a good idea to wait for a full year before making any major changes to the borders so you can see what appears - you may have some great and/or expensive plants in there.  Folk on this forum will love identifying anything that comes up and you're not sure of.

07/02/2014 at 06:13
Oh yes I wasn't going to touch the borders in the first year other than replacing the buddliea.
07/02/2014 at 08:16

Do you have to replace the buddleias?  Do you know what colour they are yet?  I think I'd be inclined to prune hard the moment you move in (it's better to prune end Feb/March), let the bees enjoy the flowers this summer, and then make a decision about removal.  It sounds as though you have plenty of space to plant another one elsewhere, if you want to.  Anyway, you'll have enough to do with all the other gardening jobs on top of settling in to your new home, without digging up two budleias as well!  Pruning is easier.

Your excitement about your new garden is almost tangible!  Looking forward to reading more in April.

07/02/2014 at 08:33
I may well only prune them but they are about 9-11ft so something needs to be done or they will not let anything else grow in the thin border they are in.
07/02/2014 at 08:45

Exciting project Simon and I wish you all the best 

I inherited  a very large white buddleia when I moved in here last year and it's getting moved to another area as part of my garden plan (and also because it's in the way of the forthcoming extension!) so perhaps we could compare notes 

I've also taken cuttings of mine so perhaps you could also do that later in case they don't survive the move. 

11/02/2014 at 08:26
Sorry for the hiatus guys. The buddleia has purple flowers. One of them I definitely need to move as it's too close to the conservatory and I am told the strong roots they have can mess with foundations etc. I like the cutting idea although I have no idea where on the plant I could take a decent one. My track record with cuttings isn't great as I haven't had much practice. I'd be happy to compare notes fairy girl. Let's hope they will be positive and practical instead of sharing our frustrations *fingers crossed*. My bee friendly plant of choice for the thin birder is verbena boni. It provides a good mid height confetti of small purple flowers that last long into Winter in Oxfordshire. I'm also looking forward to growing snakes head fritillery for the first time.
11/02/2014 at 08:39

Good luck with it all. How exciting! I find April is a pretty good month for sowing in the veg garden. Hopefully it will have dried out a bit and the ground will be warming up. Potatoes, peas, spinach, beetroot, carrots, parsnips and more can be sown in the ground. Runner beans and French beans can be started in the greenhouse. I would buy little plants of tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, courgettes for planting out in May after the frosts.

Sensible to leave the flower borders for this year until you know what's what, but you could have annuals in pots for colour.

Buddleias can be pruned very hard, but they will still make a lot of growth and become pretty big again.

11/02/2014 at 08:47

Simon, cut the buddleias down to knee height about now and give them a sprinkling of Fish Blood and Bone and you'll be well rewarded.

How close to the conservatory is the one you're worried about?  

In 50+ years of gardening I've never met a garden buddleia whose roots damaged a building.  

The only ones I know that have done that are the ones that grow from seeds blown in the wind which take root in cracks in mortar and on rooftops. 

11/02/2014 at 10:52
Unfortunately Dove the one in question has done just that. One side of the plant is completely merged with a crack in the base of the conservatory. I aim to relocate it if possible. Unfortunately I cannot do anything until April. I'll be leaving the flowerbeds for a year as discussed so you'll all be able to help me identify the plants as they show.
email image
14 messages