London (change)
Today 15°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 8°C
11 messages
09/04/2014 at 22:14

Hello everyone.

I am new to the forum and new to gardening so please forgive me in advance.

I am keen in growing my own fruit and veg 

I want to grow Tomatoes, Carrots, Strawberry's, Salad, chilli, and Potatoes. 

Just want advice on what type of soil to use and where to get it from? Also, do i need to feed it anything specific or just watering is fine.

I've started Chilli's off in shed what has windowed doors because i read it needs warmth. I've use the soil that was already in the garden. Is there any particular one i need?

Ive also started potato's off in a bucket as such.

I'm thinking of growing strawberrys in the hanging baskets. 

Thanks in advance. 

09/04/2014 at 22:29

Not an expert by any means, as have only been in the game myself for 3 seasons, but so far I have learnt some interesting tidbits. 

The seed a plant comes in has just enough energy to keep the plant going until the first true leaves appear, thats the set after the seed leaves. So at this point you may want to start looking at liquid feeds (fertiliser), unless its already in the soil. Less is more when it comes to feeding babies, stick to half the recommended dosages. Most soils now come with added fertiliser so you dont have to add extra. I know my multi purpose compost also has slow release fertiliser for 6-8 weeks. After that I start adding my  liquid feed, or scratch some blood/fish and bone fertiliser in

There are many types of soil on offer out there and I find a lot of them are overpriced. I usually stick with multipurpose for everything.Usually I'd say dont use garden soil for seedlings as you run the risk of bringing soil pests/diseases in with it, which you dont want to introduce your plants to til they are older and stronger.

Chillies and tomatoes both love warmer weather, they like a lot of sun. Just keep on top of the watering. I don't know if you know but potatoes are also related to tomatoes so they love sun too.The hanging baskets will be great for the strawberries, they love them. 

09/04/2014 at 22:30

A lot of questions there cleverduck.

All of the above except chilli I think will grow outside. Don't know about chilli so don't know.

What is growing in your garden at the moment? This will tell you a lot about your soil. If it is under grass then it will grow most things without much additives.

09/04/2014 at 23:09

Only just bought this house recently and the way the previous owners have had it done, is concrete slabs and then the sides have planting area. I'll upload a photo if i get chance tomorrow.

They didn't have anything edible. I've taken 2 small trees down which was growing because I wanted space to grow other things. I don't think the old owners really took care if the plants growing. They had an automatic watering system and that was it I think.

One negative thing is that on one side of the garden, it was full of vines. That was a pain to get rid of. But we got rid of it but its roots comes from under the soil and bricks. I'm not thinking of planting anything there. I might take all the soil out from there and dispose of it and leave the roots to dry out to be honest.

Lastly, would you guys recommend buying plants/herbs started off like in a small plant pot or start fresh from the seed? Also anywhere to get free seeds? 

10/04/2014 at 14:05

cleverduck, welcome. As it is your first year, I would recommend buying small plants from a nursery to get you going; for example I don't think strawberries are normally grown from seed.

I get Verve compost from B&Q 125 litre bags; I get it 10% off with my 'wrinkly' card, so if you know a pensioner persuade them to come with you!

Very small seeds, it is worth seiving the compost that you cover the seeds with.

In the main, the instructions on the packet will tell you quite a lot of useful info.

Hope all this helps

11/04/2014 at 10:48

Oh cool thanks. I'll start from there.

Lastly, what you mean wrinkly card? My nan is a pensioner, what does she need to show?

12/04/2014 at 07:56

B&Q do a Special Discount for pensioners shopping on a Wednesday - details here http://www.diy.com/content/support/services/diamond_card/index.jsp 

14/04/2014 at 20:25

Aah i see.

Thanks .. I'll be taking my nan there soon lol

14/04/2014 at 20:28

Cleverduck - start a new thread with 'Chilli' in the title - the chilli-heads, especially Stacey, will answer your chilli questions 

14/04/2014 at 22:01

Hi cleverduck and welcome Id say one of the first things you need to do is start a compost heap or bin. It will save you a large amount of cash in the years to come and home made compost is the best quality. Last year My compost bin contents went missing Id saved it for a hole year and I wasn't amused but what was funny is they left me my compost bin lol. I think the recycling truck took it so now it goes on the back garden locked up. Go to the garden center and it will cost you a small fortune for ten bags of good quality stuff so that's my advice 

15/04/2014 at 10:14
CHRISTOPHER HODGKISS wrote (see)

Hi cleverduck and welcome Id say one of the first things you need to do is start a compost heap or bin. It will save you a large amount of cash in the years to come and home made compost is the best quality. Last year My compost bin contents went missing Id saved it for a hole year and I wasn't amused but what was funny is they left me my compost bin lol. I think the recycling truck took it so now it goes on the back garden locked up. Go to the garden center and it will cost you a small fortune for ten bags of good quality stuff so that's my advice 

Hello Christopher, thanks for the advice. How do you make your own then? How does it work? Sorry really newbie here lol.

email image
11 messages