London (change)
Today 18°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 15°C
7 messages
21/05/2013 at 22:40

The soil oop t'lotty has sudddenly warmed up and the greenhouse /coldframe pots can be brought out of the nursery to play in the big, real world.  despite many books and TV and radio programmes, I find that the best time for starting the season off in Northumberland is, from mid May onwards. it takes an AGE here to get off the starting blocks.

This afternoon, Vee and I were oop t'lotty, and got stuck in. I brought up 40 sokid builders vlocks for the bases of more or less permanent cold frames, water butts, consisting of old attic water tanks and 200 litre barrels. a  total of about 1000 litres ! It soon goes in a drought !

I felt the soil and it was damp and not clarty, warm and crying out for some attention. Dug a bit and then ran the Mantis over the loosened clods. BEAUTIFUL ! A fine tilth and withing 10 minutes, a row of Hursts Peas was dropped into the trench. A fine sprinkiling of chicken crap (organic) was sprinkled in with the seeds, covered and I ex0ect that there will be a row of little geasles showing their heeds in about a week. 

Rummaging around the back of Wor Shed, I cleared out old bags of netting, wire meshes, and a stack of very helpful stakes, bamboozles and a couple of old bird houses or boxes. I don't know why I bought the boxwa as they are ignored by the plethora of bird species that live around the lotty. 

Birds, we have goldcrests, firecrests,gold and green finches, a tame pheasant, a nearly tame hen blackbird, dunnocks, robins, collared doves, jackers, wood pigeons, starlings and a regular group of spuggies. Brilliant !

In the flower patch, we have many rescue plants that Vee fets from around the area, and they are now sprouting their green shoots of recovery. ( Where have we heard that phrase before ?)

so, now, it is all systems go, and we can only hope that the strawbs will produce this year after a dismal season in 2012.

21/05/2013 at 22:53

Your bird count is most impressive Peat. 

22/05/2013 at 00:11

You have a lovely way with words, please keep us updated.

22/05/2013 at 22:46

I forgot to mention the coal, blue and great tits that swarm all over the feeders as well !

NO jokes please !

22/05/2013 at 22:49

Da spring is here,

Da grass is rizz

I wonder where da boidies is ?

Da little boid is on da wing,

But dat's absoid,

Da wing is on da little boid !

22/05/2013 at 22:50

Has anyone noticed the programming schedule of da BBC ?  Springwatch is back, and it's nearly mid-summer ! ! ! !   Not that anyone would ever bloody guess !

23/05/2013 at 23:25

So, been oop t'lotty today wiv a mate wot can dig deep trenches. Brill having strong friends ! !  Did a lot of work bedding in the cold frame next to the greenhouse, and repositioning the new water collection system. The soil is NOT as warm as it was yesterday.  Dag-Nab-it ! Now, I expect the wind will launch the butts around the lotty like those original barrels going over Niagra Falls. Is there NO justice and proper reward for hard work ?

On Saturday, the forecast is dire. High winds, and more wintery showers somewhere in the North. I DON'T BELIEVE IT !  Saw the fire and goldcrests again today, 2 metres away from their feeder. Brilliant.The greenfinch was back too.  Soaked some mealies for the hen blackbird, which she quickly gathered up like a puffin, but more disorganised. As her bill got filled, she kept dropping them in the grass, and then had to start all over again . This is where the term, 'Bird Brain' springs to mind. 

Sad times in the outside world, but the lotty is a sanctuary and haven of peace, tranquility and emotional succour. Not a time for bitterness, but reflection and understanding. God, grant me Patience, NOW !!!!

email image
7 messages