Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Passion Fruit Vine

I purchased a passion fruit vine, planted it out in April but there is no growth on it. I've checked the roots and they seem to be ok. Am I doing something wrong?

• ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,731

Passion fruit is tropical/sub-tropical and needs seriously warm weather and full sun to prosper. What sort of temps are you getting?

• Bubba RayBubba Ray Posts: 83

Sorry for the late reply. I think I failed with this one....... A couple of days after my post I saw the leaves had bite marks and a couple of snails nearby. I put slug/snails pellets down and the day after there were quite a few slugs and snails dead. I kept on putting more pellets down and seemed to be OK. About two weeks later all the leaves fall off and it's now just a brown stick.

It's probably unlikely that the slugs and snails killed the plant. If you haven't already disposed of the brown stick, pull it up and have a look at the roots.

Is/was it a passion fruit vine or passion flower vine?

• I got it from J Parkers: http://www.jparkers.co.uk/plant-0004207-bc-1/passiflora-edulis/

I've disposed of the brown stick, there was no roots when I lifted it.

About two weeks ago I went to my local garden centre and I found one so bought it, planted it in the same position and OMG! It was about 3ft tall when I bought it, it's now covering a 5ft by 5ft trellis. 

Ah well, the roots had rooted. Passionfruit are notorious for root problems. Better luck with this one.

• I have grown some passion fruit from seed in my conservatory and they were doing well until recently. The foilage has started getting paler and weaker looking and the odd leaf has started falling off. Any idea what the problem is and how I can solve it ? 

Presumably they're in containers? How often have they been fed and what with?

• I have fed them once since planting. They are around 5cm high and have 4 - 5 true leaves althought that is decreasing quickly.

Can you advise what and when to feed them ?

Ah, they're babies. Providing they're in a decent potting mix I wouldn't feed them at all yet. The roots are still vulnerable and you could burn them. I wouldn't overwater them either. Like any seedling they just need as much light and warmth as they can get.

• Here's the latest pic of my passion fruit. I don't think they are going to last much longer. Any tips ?