London (change)
Today 18°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 15°C
8 messages
07/05/2014 at 19:23

I bought a dwarf peach tree last spring and placed it, in its pot, against a south-facing stone wall in my garden in the north of England. It did really well, and after some thinning out of the fruit at various stages, produced several really good, juicy peaches towards the end of the summer.

I did read about peach leaf curl, and had intended to keep the tree covered during the winter to prevent it from appearing. However, foolishly, I didn't get round to doing so and this spring the plant seems to have been struck down by a particularly bad bout of the disease. I have had to remove many leaves (perhaps 75% or so). Even leaves that look OK will, a couple of days later, show the signs.

I have given up hope of getting any fruit from the tree this year - it is looking decidedly forlorn and defoliated. I am now trying to decide what to do in order to prevent the tree dying or at least losing too much of this year's growth. I see two options:

1. Remove the young peaches that have now appeared post blossom (so the tree doesn't put any energy into growing fruit) and keep removing affected leaves. However, I am concerned that the disease doesn't seem to be subsiding, and I will have to keep removing leaves for the rest of the summer, weakening the tree.

2. Remove the young peaches, and spray now with Bordeaux mixture. My hope is that this would halt the continued spread of the leaf curl, and at least allow the tree the rest of this spring/summer to grow and recover. However, all the advice I have read says to spray peach trees with Bordeaux mixture in the autumn and again during the winter. Could I harm the tree by spraying at this time of year?

Advice appreciated!

07/05/2014 at 20:00

Hi Jim

Almost  got caught out myself this year.  Just a touch of peach leaf curl but I got away with it.

I would feed your tree, not spray ...Bordeaux doesnt do a lot for me.....and try to keep your peaches.  You will lose your peaches anyway if the bush decides it cannot cope.

Keep removing those leaves but can ??ou cover your bush for next few weeks?  I find that peach leaf curl is not a problem during the summer.  Maybe the leaves are more resilient.  (?) 

I would clear away fallen leaves and mulch with compost ....would also spray with Epsom salts.   

07/05/2014 at 23:40

I've just about given up on a similar, potted tree which has always had a good covering of flowers but then succumbs to the dreaded curl. 

I'm very, very reluctant to spray with anything - if it affects the leaves, surely it could affect the fruit?   Feeding sounds more positive so I may just give it a last chance. 

If it doesn't sound a silly question - what would you feed it with, Verdun?

07/05/2014 at 23:52

Epsom salts is not harmful to humans....wIll not damage,leaves or fruit.

Feed with fish blood n bone Beechtree.  Or seaweed spray.  But Epsom salts is a feed in itself.

08/05/2014 at 07:30

I have a young peach I put in a large pot on my patio and it did well last year although towards the end of the summer it did have a little bit of leaf curl. I thought it wasn't too bad so left it, but this year the tree has yet to do anything at all, no leaves, nothing. Is it dead?

08/05/2014 at 08:28

Not everything is because of each leaf curl Lottolearn.  Without leaves there will not be leaf curl

Wait a little while yet.  a friend has a peach thaf is only just shooting yet mine ....2......are showing fruits.  

Is compost wet? It prob got saturated during the winter.  Does tree seem firm in the pot?  Not loose or "wobbly"?  Any sign of vine weevils?

08/05/2014 at 11:36

Many thanks, Verdun.  I'll try the seaweed spray.  

I'm still definitely learning...

10/05/2014 at 09:20

Pot probably did get saturated in the winter but it is good free draining soil and the pot is on stilts. Tree seems firm in pot. Will wait a bit and hope it shows sign of life. I've given it some seaweed feed. How do you know if you have vine weevils without leaves?

email image
8 messages