Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

peppers

I have four pepper plants growing in pots on staging in the greenhouse.  The plants are producing flowers but as soon as the tiny peppers start to form, they drop off.

The greenhouse is well-ventilated and the plants are watered daily and given  tomato feed regularly.  I also mist the plants as I understand this helps the fruit to set but I think it is unlikely that I will get any peppers at all this year.

Has anyone else had this problem as I am wondering whether it is connected with the extreme weather conditions we have had this year.

• ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,731

Probably a combination of things, HG. Pollination isn't happening. Though peppers are self-pollinating, they can need a helping hand. Outside, insects can trigger pollination by fossicking in the flowers. In a greenhouse, with fewer insects, you can help by giving the flowers a gentle flick with your fingers.

Extremes of weather can also impact on the pollination process.

You could also be overwatering. Unless the pots are small and it's exceedingly warm, they shouldn't need watering every single day. You can afford to let the mix dry out.

An excess of fertiliser can also impact on fruit production. How often are you feeding?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

I have three Apache chilli plants in pots outside - they're covered with chillies - every flower is setting  - the pots are next to the raised bed with courgettes in and the insects are fossicking every hour of daylight.image  They've not been watered since the weekend (although we have had a bit of rain) and they've had one small dose of tomato feed - I ignore them most of the time other than to look in amazement and wonder at the growing crop - I've not grown chillies before as my OH has only just discovered that he quite likes a little heat in his food.  

I shall be needing ideas for coping with a surfeit of chillies very soon!

So, I think that, as Italophile says, you're probably being much too nice to your chillies and they feel no need to reproduce themselvesimage

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

Dove, you can dry the chillies in the sun - if you keep getting sun - for storage and use. Or, as I did a couple of years ago, entirely by accident, freeze-dry them on the plants by leaving them in situ into the winter. I completely forgot about them, went for a potter in the garden, and found them freeze-dried. Just as good as sun-dried.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

I have ambitions Italophile 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

Cripes, have you moved to Tijuana?

• Thanks everyone, for your helpful responses.  I think I am paying them too much attention!

• Dove from above apache is a fantastic plant... If you have ambitions give me a shout I have more than enough seeds ...... Peppers and chillies both like a little neglect, I don't normally water my scotch bonnets until they wilt they are laden with fruit this year..... Also dove I have a stack of books with recepie s if you have an idea what you would like to do.... Sauces, oil, vinegar etc etc i am more than happy to forward some photocopies. A great book is one called too many chillies also check out the books on the south Devon chillie farm website they have some corkers.... If you want to incorporate your chillies into a chipotle ( you would have to buy these £5.00 eBay) sauce I have a stunning stunning recepie that is proving a big hit with many of our friends....... Top tip for next year try growi g them in square pots.....mi don't know why or what the science is behind it but for so e reason chillies love love love square pots

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

Don't feed your pepper plants until they do their part.  The reaction of most plants is to reproduce before they die.  If you give too much food they won't bother to reproduce.

Treat them a bit hard!