Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

planting potatoes and onion sets

When should I consider planting onion sets and seed potatoes?  My Dad used to do all these things and I just weeded and ate the produce.  Maybe I should have paid more attention

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

Hi, Nan,

Maybe you should have paid more attention image but not to worry, I'm sure your dad would be pleased to know you are caring for the garden because you enjoyed the produce and want to carry on a tradition. 

I can't answer your Q as I live in the NW and planting out times are different for your area which is further up North but there are some Scottish growers who probably could.   

• No expertNo expert Posts: 415

Like zoomer I'm further south than you here in Tipperary. AllI can offer is it takes about 3 weeks for spud sprouts to emerge above ground. Sow 3 weeks before last expected frosts or be prepared to cover the potatoes with some frost protection.We sow earlies around March 17 but they will need protecting untill the  May day holiday at least. I sow maincrop spuds around the 20th April so no frost worries. Hope this helps you.

• Nan CrambNan Cramb Posts: 11

Thanks folks.

• Never plant onions and potatoes near each other

the onions make the potatoes eyes water.

Jayne

• Nan CrambNan Cramb Posts: 11

Thanks  I will remember that next year

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

LOL.

Hi, Nan,

Did you get a good spud crop. I've not dug up my first and second earlies yet, just got back from a two week jolly and will be digging up spuds tomorrow, it'll be like digging for goldimage