Start a new thread

1 to 20 of 23 replies

I have grown courgettes as usual this year but seemed to have produced a plant which grows poisonous courgettes. They have a very bitter taste and give you diarrhoea. Has anybody else had this problem and can I trust the rest of the plants? The poisonous courgettes are a different shape to the rest they are more round.

Forester2

If they have made you poorly I definitely wouldn't risk eating any more.

Dovefromabove

What variety are they - what did it say on the seed packet? 

Oh dear sorry for you Mary, first yesr I've grown them, doing fine and no I'll effects

You can get get a mix up occasionally with seed.  I ordered a distinct variety last year and the seeds I received produced various shapes of courgette none of which matched the one I had ordered.  I contacted the supplier and received the correct seeds by return.

I can't imagine you have poisonous fruit ( as you are still alive to tell the tale ) but it would certainly be worth contacting your supplier and explaining your problem .....might save others from a similar experience

Advertisement

It is definitely the courgettes which were poisonous. I googled the words and there were several examples from people who had had the same experience as me. I will try and find the seed packet but I have grown courgettes for years and never had any problems.

They don't have to kill you to be poisonous it just means they are toxic

They are Mr Fothergills just says courgettes

How odd, must be a dodgy strain that pops up now and again, i grow them, but suprise, suprise, i dont eat them, put me off even more now

That's a really useful link thanks I have 5 other courgette plants hope I can trust them

pansyface

One little nibble should tell you if you have a good one or a rogue. Sounds like lots of watering and picking them very young is the key!

fidgetbones

If they are round maybe a bitter gourd seed got in by mistake.

Dovefromabove

It does sound to me as if there's been some cross-fertilisation at the seed producers' place - with a lot of different varieties being grown nowadays it can happen.  Although the seed producers are usually careful to grow their plants at a distance from other similar varieties, there's no accounting for what the general public might be growing in their gardens and which bees might be visiting.  

I do think you ought to notify  Fothergills so that they're aware that their processes are flawed. 

Advertisement

I am recovering from eating a mouthful of very bitter courgettes.  Not pleasant experience.

Please see below website

http://www.foodsafetywatch.com/public/504print.cfm

The courgette was shop bought in Addis Ababa in Ethiopia.

pansyface

Ethiopia is a wonderful country. I was there when I was young. I never had to cook for myself though as there was always someone who was keen to do it for me and I was happy to let them. The food is delicious.

Last year I had a free packet of courgette seed from fothergills.When I grew them I had one that was a small pumpkin,it didn't make me I'll.
BitterKnitter

Oh dear, nasty stuff. I'm glad you're alright, and I'm very glad for the links you guys have put in here.

Never liked courgettes, myself

If you find that you have grown something which is not true to type , it is always a good idea to contact the supplier.  Mix ups do occur ( either in the packaging or in the seed production ) and the suppliers are unaware unless we tell them