London (change)
Today 9°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 9°C
6 messages
08/06/2013 at 15:25

Ok, so I know second earlies shouldn't be ready yet, but I've got six patio planters, needed some potatoes for dinner, they've been in for 9/10 weeks and I prefer them small... so I had a furtle in one.

Because I found one or two (Charlottes) of decent size, I was a bit taken in! Basically, the rest weren't too big - and there weren't many at all, but hopefully the rest of the bags given another 2/3 weeks should get there.

Is this a reasonable rate of progress for 2nd earlies do you think? What I've got look nice, but probably not more than 300g...

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/25047.jpg?width=384&height=350&mode=max

08/06/2013 at 21:12

Everyone thinks from one plant you get 25kg of potatoes, even main crop. Quite the opposite is the norm.

08/06/2013 at 21:54

well, that's from two seed potatoes. there were a fair few tiny, smaller than marble size tubers so that's more why I'm figuring a few more weeks should result in some decent crops from the rest.

08/06/2013 at 22:04

Yeh, you don't get a lot from first earlies. 

08/06/2013 at 22:25

I find the norms a heaped colander full. sometimes the colander is over flowing, when harvested to full term, from 5 spuds planted in spud bags. Your tiddly spuds given a few more weeks would have grown a lot more.

Spuds aren't ready until the foliage starts to die back, usually this is after they flower but some varieties I've grown haven't flowered.

If impatient, you can dip your hand in the bag and have a feel about to pick out some big spuds but I wouldn't advise it until the foliage is dieing back as you could damage the under grounds roots running to the spuds.

When the spuds are ready you can leave them in the bag and just pick the  amount you need.     

08/06/2013 at 22:34

If you like big spuds try growing Kondor. When we had a bigger veg garden I used to grow these and they were ginormous. Sometimes we would get potatoes weighing more than a pound each. Made wonderful chips but my favourite was to bake in the oven, then scoop out all the flesh, mix with cheese & a little butter and then put it back into th skin-cases and microwave for about 1 minute. "Cheesey Crispy Jackets" - Brill!  Sadly can't do that anymore (put on too much weight!)

email image
6 messages