London (change)
Today 29°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 18°C
11 messages
15/02/2013 at 00:21

have a raspberry but it never gets the chance to produce fruit as its always getting attacked by caterpillars, not sure what sort of caterpillar they are,there about 1cm long,white with a black head,what type of caterpillar are they and how can i control them.any advice would be great thanks.

15/02/2013 at 02:12

Sounds like raspberry sawfly.  The only control I know is to spray with an insecticide just before the flowers open.  Look for one which mentions the more common gooseberry sawfly in the list of pests it deals with. I don't know of any organic controls, but others here may have ideas, if you don't want to use any chemical sprays.

15/02/2013 at 23:00

You could try Nemasys Caterpillar Control - it's a beneficial nematode that will kill off sawfly and caterpillars

More info here

Good Luck

Allotment-Web.org

19/02/2013 at 20:37

vineweevels are  a problem too for the plant having to pick them all the time.

20/02/2013 at 14:10

Well, that is a surprise.  I have never seen a vine weevil adult on our Rapsberry canes in 18 years here and the garden is full of the little blighters. There are weevils which do live on Raspberry canes, but ehy look different to a vine weevil. The only pest we have on our canes is a beetle which attacks ones hands when picking the fruit. It does not harm me but leaves a nasty red lump on my wife's hands.

20/02/2013 at 14:57
BobTheGardener wrote (see)

Sounds like raspberry sawfly.  The only control I know is to spray with an insecticide just before the flowers open.  Look for one which mentions the more common gooseberry sawfly in the list of pests it deals with. I don't know of any organic controls, but others here may have ideas, if you don't want to use any chemical sprays.

Do we have Raspberry Sawfly in the UK? Thought they were an American problem.They are possibly another Sawfly: a Gooseberry Sawfly. Rasp Sawfly are green and Gooseberry a pale Green almost greyish with black heads.

I would avoid chemicals if you want to eat the fruit. A hose over the plant and esp under the leaves washes them off and or using an old sock soaked in water and manually removing them.

20/02/2013 at 19:28
blairs wrote (see)
BobTheGardener wrote (see)

Do we have Raspberry Sawfly in the UK? Thought they were an American problem.They are possibly another Sawfly: a Gooseberry Sawfly. Rasp Sawfly are green and Gooseberry a pale Green almost greyish with black heads.

I would avoid chemicals if you want to eat the fruit. A hose over the plant and esp under the leaves washes them off and or using an old sock soaked in water and manually removing them.

There are several species which could be called that, without necessarily being the american genus.  Without a photo it's rather hard to say but if they cause so much damage that the plants don't crop, it's almost certainly a sawfly.  See here:

http://www.wildaboutbritain.co.uk/forums/eggs-larvae-and-caterpillars/46892-sawfly-larvae.html

Manually removing them with a jet of water etc will work ok, but sawflies can strip plants overnight, so vigilance is of the utmost essence, as it is with gooseberries!

20/02/2013 at 19:34

"Manually removing them with a jet of water etc will work ok, but sawflies can strip plants overnight, so vigilance is of the utmost essence, as it is with gooseberries!"

Agreed by bitter experience!

25/02/2013 at 13:46

just googled vine weevil and it is what i thought that i see on my leaves.also googled raspberry sawfly and the larvae that comes up is the same that i find on my leaves too.they just strip the leaves no end right back.could a fine bit of netting over it help.

and thanks for the replies 

25/02/2013 at 16:58
Netting would work providing you get all the nasties off first, enviromesh would also protect your berries from birds and other pests.
05/10/2013 at 22:12

We have the Small Raspberry Sawfly in the UK. It can cause complete defoliation in extreme conditions (usually protected cultivation). It can be found out-side, but in low, usually non-damaging levels. Latin name is Priophorus morio.

email image
11 messages