London (change)
Today 17°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
12 messages
18/02/2014 at 14:55

I recently just found a turnip under the sink that started sprouting.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/37722.jpg?width=300&height=350&mode=max

Never grown turnips before, so answers I want are:

Can this turnip be re-planted?

Can I dissect this so i can have five sprouted sections which can be re-planted?

Best time of year to re-plant?

And any other info, I have not thought of.

Edd
18/02/2014 at 15:06

Yes it can be replanted but you will only get turnip greens and then produce new seeds for the next crop. You will need at least two if you want it to seed and they are grown in the same way as seeds.

18/02/2014 at 15:12

thanks Edd, at least I get free seeds for next year.

I take it turnip greens can be eaten? sorry but I am a newbie on turnips.

I read I be able to replant now?

Edd
18/02/2014 at 15:36

Yes you can eat the greens (i have never tried) I prefer brussel sprout tops.

I can't see any reason why you should not plant it out now. What is the worst that can happen? 

I am not sure about dividing it as i have never tried that either but i do think it will work. Give it a go and see. Then let us know what happens. Remember you will need at least two plants to get seed.

18/02/2014 at 16:45

Why not eat it - that's what I'd do.

If I wanted to grow turnips I'd buy some seeds and give them a decent chance. 

18/02/2014 at 16:55

I have no idea how long its been there, did have some mold on there. only found it as I was cleaning up underneath the sink.

Although I have dissected it and does look alright, but my wife fuzzy and won't bare to eat it.

18/02/2014 at 17:03

If it looks and smells all right then it'll be fine to eat, it's not as though it was meat!

Edd
18/02/2014 at 17:06

A bit of mould on the outside would not hurt you after a good wash. I bet you eat eggs and you know where they come from.

18/02/2014 at 17:06

Peel it, chop it up and put it in a stew  

Root vegetables have always been harvested in late autumn and stored for months through the winter.  They used to be stored in heaps covered with straw and earth called clamps.  Nowadays they're usually stored in a cold-store but some are still stored in clamps on the farm.  

You've just done what the farmer does and stored your turnip - now it's ready to be eaten - if you really can't bear to do that then do you know someone who has a pet rabbit?  He'd love it. 

18/02/2014 at 17:57

I think I eat it, wont be the first time I made something that I didnt tell my wife what was in the food. I was against cooking it, had no recollection when it was bought, but no rotten parts inside.

although I may plant two segments just for curiosity and experimenting purposes. 

Lyn
19/02/2014 at 23:29

That looks like a swede to me, can you eat swede tops?.

20/02/2014 at 07:29

Lyn, I did wonder if it was a swede, but then swedes are called turnips in Scotland aren't they - so I decided to tackle one issue at a time - either way it's fit to eat or feed to a bunny 

email image
12 messages