Start a new thread

1 to 5 of 5 replies

Hi, I thought someone once told me that rhubarb leaves are poisonous, is this true or can I feed them to my chickens?


They are- and I wouldn't-compost them instead


While rhubarb leaves will not kill your chickens if they peck at them, the high level of oxalic acid will leach calcium from their bodies, causing them to lay very fragile eggs so not a good idea.  

They'll be fine on the compost heap, the oxalic acid breaks down quickly and becomes harmless.


I agree with sotongeoff. They are poisonous and should only be composted.

Thanks Guys,

Pleased I asked now!!

Sign up or log in to post a reply