London (change)
Today 26°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 24°C / 16°C
10 messages
07/12/2013 at 17:31

There is not a lot I can do now but I am finding my storage of onions this year is not good.  I had a fantastic crop of lovely large onions but sadly a lot of them are rotting early.  I have never had this problem before so just wondering if any one else has found that their onions are not keeping - this is just to boost my morale!.

KEF
07/12/2013 at 18:30

Forester I don't know, wonder if some types store better than others, or if when they were harvested and how long they dried out makes a difference, but will say a lot of onions that I buy don't save as they used to do. I'm sure someone will have some knowledge.

07/12/2013 at 18:50

Forester did they bolt?

I had agreat crop of onions this year my best ever but the reds nearly all bolted and some of them are rotting. The white ones are still finw so far.

07/12/2013 at 19:47

Hello No Expert - no they didn't bolt - in fact several of my fellow allotment holders gazed enviously at them as they were such a good crop!  My uneducated guess is they didn't have long enough to dry off before I stored them as Kef mentions, or it may be the variety. They were bought from Wilkinsons and  I have been buying from them for quite a few years now.

07/12/2013 at 19:55

Bedfordshire champion are good keepers, but to keep well in the winter, they need to have been ripened off properly before storage.

07/12/2013 at 20:06

We had a long drought here this summer and it was no problem drying the onions. I built s=a roof with plywood for the later ones to keepthem dry.

08/12/2013 at 07:17

My brother the big veg farmer grows onions for supermarkets - he said he's found that onions with a more oval shape, pointy at the top, store much better than those with 'shoulders'.  When buying onions loose in the supermarket I always select for that shape and it seems to work.  

He also said that in his experience red onions do not store as well as white ones - they seem to hold on to much more moisture. 

08/12/2013 at 12:25

Can't grow onions to save my life. At the end of the season bulb is the same size as when planted. Live in Colorado 7,600 ft. Friends plant same variety and they grow large onions. Help.

08/12/2013 at 13:56

Ask your friends Sandra, that is if they live in the same area of Colorado as you, as they will be able to help you better than us in this damp island of ours.

08/12/2013 at 21:13

We grew some Winter onions and they where well and truly dry , however , some didn't last this year , perhaps one of those things but some people reckon these don't store so well but have been OK before . Trying a different variety this year

email image
10 messages