London (change)
Today 26°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 18°C
4 messages
06/04/2014 at 17:25

I am planting runner beans (Scarlet Emperor) for the first time in a very large pot.  What would be the best compost for planting.  I have my own garden compost plus multi purpose compost would a mix of these be ok?

06/04/2014 at 17:28

I'd rather include some loam in there, for the weight more than anything - once you get your runner beans growing up a teepee of canes it'll catch the wind and blow over unless the pot is really heavy. 

It would also be an idea to add some of those water retention gel thingies 

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/Profile.aspx?pid=692

Runner beans are very thirsty.

06/04/2014 at 17:35

Thanks for that Dovefromabove, will take on board.  Do you think that mulching with grass cuttings will be any good for keeping the pot damp? The pot is rather large, and hopefully with a few heavy crocks in the base it will keep upright.  I am looking forward to seeing a 'teepee' of beans!

06/04/2014 at 18:19

As Dove says the main thing is keeping the beans well watered, because you're using your own compost that should help, I've never used the water retention gels but its gotta help if you use them.

A mulch of grass cuttings will help keep in the moisture but they will still require watering a lot in the hotter periods, especially when the beans are in flower to promote setting.

Even heavy pots can be blown over when in full leave so try and secure it some how

email image
4 messages