London (change)
Today 13°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 9°C
6 messages
13/06/2012 at 23:16
Hi, first timer growing potatoes. I bought the seeded pots about 6 weeks ago now, Scottish javelin, red rooster & Charlotte . I'm only just getting round to planting them this weekend. All will be grown in pots, is there any advice out there before I fall at the first hurdle.
14/06/2012 at 08:44

Quite simple-plant the potatoes-don't fill the pot to the top just yet-and as they grow keep adding more soil until they reach the top- keep feeding and watering -hopefully a pot full of potatoes at the end

14/06/2012 at 09:31
sotongeoff wrote (see)

Quite simple-plant the potatoes-don't fill the pot to the top just yet-and as they grow keep adding more soil until they reach the top- keep feeding and watering -hopefully a pot full of potatoes at the end

That's the traditional way, Geoff. Don't know if you know, there is more recent way of thinking that suggests just planting the tubers at the bottom of the pot & filling to the top with compost.

As a experiment I've tried both methods this year...this is some 'Rocket' grown by the latter method and harvested earlier this week:

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c186/DavidKnapper/first_rocket_potatoes_500.jpg

14/06/2012 at 10:58
David K wrote (see)
sotongeoff wrote (see)

That's the traditional way, Geoff. Don't know if you know, there is more recent way of thinking that suggests just planting the tubers at the bottom of the pot & filling to the top with compost.

As a experiment I've tried both methods this year...this is some 'Rocket' grown by the latter method and harvested earlier this week:

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c186/DavidKnapper/first_rocket_potatoes_500.jpg

It could be said that it's easier to get water to the roots with the former method,but as David says both ways work fine for me.

Of course with the topping up method you do get to see something growing sooner,where with the full method you can be left wondering if anything is actually growing.

14/06/2012 at 11:10

Netherfield....how great to see you here! Hope things are well with you.

14/06/2012 at 13:30

Doing fine thanks David, could just do with this weather drying up a little, I reckon my 'earlies' are about a fortnight behind this year,might just find enough for six of us on Fathers Day.

It was only yesterday I discovered the BBC site had closed down,it was one of your posts which pointed me over here.

I

email image
6 messages